Echinopsis ID

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeT
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Echinopsis ID

Post by MikeT »

This is another plant from a collection rescue last year, now planted out in the cactus bed at Sheffield Botanical Gardens. It's flowered, which I'm hoping will help with an ID. No label, it could be a species or a hybrid.
Echinopsis.JPG
Echinopsis_flower.JPG
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Echinopsis ID

Post by Phil_SK »

It looks like what I imagine you'd get from oxygona × aurea.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

I like it. Nice looking plant.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Phil_SK wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:21 pm It looks like what I imagine you'd get from oxygona × aurea.
Thanks, Phil
I had an aurea some years ago, the flower colour does look very similar. The plant body does look like oxygona/eyriesii, and my first step was to check in the NCL - but all the plants there with similar bodies were white/nearly white flowered. That did seem to make it likely that this would be a hybrid. The collection wasn't all that far from Abbey Brook, so it might be one of Brian Fearn's, but then again there are loads of un-named Echinopsis hybrids around.
I'll request a label "Echinopsis hybrid" for it.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525