A Conophytum for All Seasons  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Terry S.
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

A Conophytum for All Seasons

Post by Terry S. »

The great majority of conophytums flower during the autumn months from August-October, but a few do flower at other times. The most recent addition to the spring-flowering species is C. youngii which is in flower at the moment in my greenhouse. It is presently only known from one hill in Namaqualand, which is actually quite close to the main north-south road, but remained hidden from science until discovered about ten years ago.

I am pollinating the flowers using my single hair method, but the seed capsules will not be ripe until summer 2021. My experience with the seed is that it does not germinate well, particularly when first harvested. With year old seed, I have not achieved more than 25% germination. However, once past the initial stages, it does not seem too difficult to grow and slowly builds into small clumps. It is certainly easier than the closely-related C. rugosum. During the winter growing-season the warty bodies are a curious grey-green colour, but as they enter dormancy, they take on red hues. Photos of wild plants show them to be bright red at flowering time.
Cono_youngii(1).jpg

The only other conos in flower at the moment are C. primavernum and khamiesbergense, but C. chrisocruxum and bachelorum should follow on soon.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: A Conophytum for All Seasons

Post by rodsmith »

Lovely flowers Terry, well captured - and plump little bodies.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

That's very nice. Fills a gap in the Conophytum calendar.
Cheshire, UK
Christian
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Christian »

They look great! When would you expect them to be flowering size? I have a sole survivor of MSG 3082, it is still small but looks happy enough, sown early April 2018.
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Single heads are flowering at about 3 years old with me, but a friend in the Orkneys (using lights, you have to!) flowered one in about a year.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Terry S. wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:00 pm Single heads are flowering at about 3 years old with me, but a friend in the Orkneys (using lights, you have to!) flowered one in about a year.
Orkney not "the Orkneys" as Allan would tell you :wink:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Christian
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Re: A Conophytum for All Seasons  Solved

Post by Christian »

Fingers crossed for next year then! :wink:
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
Geri88
BCSS Member
Branch: None