seeds  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Sheffieldsurfer
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

seeds

Post by Sheffieldsurfer »

Hello, i recently bought some Mr Fothergills cactus seeds from a leading DIY store, and even though i convinced myself they would`nt germinate, after a few days, the first seedlings started to emerge from the soil.
Now i have 9 seedlings breaking out and as i planted 70 seeds, and not all looked the same, hopefully many of them will germinate in the next couple of months.
My enquiry is, some look like Succulent seedlings, and some look like Cacti, but what variety and species will i be likely to be growing from a bag of Mr Fothergills?
I`ll probably be back regularly asking advice on how to care for these healthy little green seedlings, but if anyone has bought Mr Fothergills Cacti seeds before, and is likely to know what species they are likely to be, i would appreciate their help.
Thanks everyone
scousetigger
Registered Guest

Re: seeds

Post by scousetigger »

I also bought a packet a few months ago. There were about 70 in that too, suppsedly, I had about 9 that germinated and are now doing well in individual pots. There seems to only be 2 types though and until they get bigger I can't tell what they are. The rest of the seeds either didn't germinate or the seedlings died off. I had trouble keeping the compost damp enough with the heat and when I soaked them the compost went green. I will try again next year or get some seeds from a cacti nursery. I'll post a photo of the largest one later.
scousetigger
Registered Guest

Post by scousetigger »

These are in 5cm pots.
Attachments
4RgeRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAPAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqgAAABsBBQABAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAugAAADIBAgAUAAAAzgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA4gAAAGmHBAABAAAA6AAAAAgDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl
4RgeRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAPAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqgAAABsBBQABAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAugAAADIBAgAUAAAAzgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA4gAAAGmHBAABAAAA6AAAAAgDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl (90.02 KiB) Viewed 3801 times
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Re: seeds  Solved

Post by Maria J »

I sowed some seeds (suttons mixed cactus) in March, some germinated quite quickly but I have had a few germinate since especially in the last couple of weeks with the heat... I believe some species can take a few months to germinate. Certainly mine have varied from a few days to 4 months!!
Like you, I'll be seeking ID help if I can keep them going to 'maturity'!!
(Next time I will go for named species!!)

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Sheffieldsurfer

Post by Sheffieldsurfer »

Thanks guys for the replies.
My seedlings look nothing like yours. They are like a round egg shaped, with two horns at the top, and a aerole between the horns. Thats all how i can describe them to you, but as they grow, i will be able to label them, and give you updates on them. Thanks again.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

I think the 'horns' you are mentioning are probably the cotyledons.
On my older seedlings, they are just starting to disappear so that they look a bit more like minute cacti! I'll 'try' & get a picture! :-)

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Horns with an areole between?
[img]http://nartowicz.users.btopenworld.com/ ... ricus4.jpg[/img]

Cheshire, UK