Gymnocalycium

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
scousetigger
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Gymnocalycium

Post by scousetigger »

Bought this as it was different. Also had orange and yellow ones at the nursery. How do thet raise the plants to begin with if they need a host plant to be grafted onto???
Attachments
4RizRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAPAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqgAAABsBBQABAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAugAAADIBAgAUAAAAzgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA4gAAAGmHBAABAAAA6AAAAAgDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl
4RizRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAPAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqgAAABsBBQABAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAugAAADIBAgAUAAAAzgAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA4gAAAGmHBAABAAAA6AAAAAgDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl (75.7 KiB) Viewed 2667 times

Re: Gymnocalycium

Post by Guest »

Sue,

The stock this is on is very tender so take care in winter. They are just sports which have been propogated from offsets. They cannot grow on their own roots so they have to stay grafted. My advice would be to graft one of the offsets onto a trichocereus to be certain of keeping it alive.

scousetigger
Registered Guest

Post by scousetigger »

Thanks, I was wondering if I should have a go at grafting another, mainly to see if I can do it. I'll give it a go and let you know what happens....probably next year lol. I will have to look out for a trichocereus to use. Is there any other plant I can use?

Post Edited (08-03-06 20:53)
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Roy »

Hi Bob,
much to the digust of my purist friends I have one of these (why not!).
I did just what you suggest and regrafted it and it's healthy enough but it does not grow very fast on the new stock.
Member Bcss