upside down graft  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

upside down graft

Post by Guest »

This is one of my seedling Mamm luethyi that lost it's root, I grafted the top and on a whim I grafted the root end upside down. I had read somewhare that this was possible, well it does work two new heads are forming.

Attachments
8A
8A (63.02 KiB) Viewed 3743 times
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Re: upside down graft

Post by Vic »

Excellent Bob!

Phil White
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Phil White »

Hi Bob,
Excellent stuff I tried it once with Ferocactus johnstonianus & it also worked, I am sure I have the plant somewhere ( it maybe neglected though !!!) so if I get a chance I will take a pic also.

Phil White
Wiltshire, England
Krister
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Krister »

What's the advantage of this starnge prank. Is there some benefits, or it's just for the fun.

Regards, Krister Persson
Skane, Sweden

Post by Guest »

Krister, the remaining piece of the plant had had a fresh cut where I had removed the top so rather than throw it away I tried this. The original seedling had lost its roots and after six months had not rerooted, I do not see it as a prank or fun.

Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Kristar

It means that you end up with a single headed plant & instead of throwing away the base, if the base-graft takes you will probably end up with lots of plantlets which will probably grow into a really nice clump.

I have done the same with an Obregonia stump which has 7 pups sprouting now.

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Re: upside down graft  Solved

Post by Roy »

Another advantage is that you can use both the top and bottom halves of a seedling and get twice as many plants however I usually find the upside down half takes a lot longer to get started. In an emergency though anything is worth trying especially when doing nothing would result in a total loss.
Member Bcss
Krister
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Krister »

Hi, I hink I have completly missunderstod the upside/down .

Regards, Krister Persson
Skane, Sweden
Phil White
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE

Post by Phil White »

This is the Fero. johnstonianus you can still see the old pereskiopsis stump in the middle.

Attachments
8QAHAAAAQUBAQEAAAA
8QAHAAAAQUBAQEAAAA (80.01 KiB) Viewed 3743 times
Phil White
Wiltshire, England
Nick
BCSS Member
Branch: EDINBURGH
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Nick »

Having just spent 15 mins on my hands and knees looking for the top of an Astro seedling that was about to be grafted, but fell off the tweezers:?, i am wondering if i can graft the base of of the seedling. I assume that although one could probably graft it successfully, it would not have the ability to sprout since the growing point would have been in the excised top, which i have lost. Not very good odds but i`ve tried it!!
NIck