Mamm Duwei roots

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Maria J
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Mamm Duwei roots

Post by Maria J »

Following on from my Astro post, I also decided to repot this Mamm Duwei (bought in Wilkos some months ago now).
I had great difficulty removing it from it's pot, and when I did, WOW, those roots!! I immediately checked in my book and found that M.Duwei do have tuberous roots, so that's fine.
Problem for me is that I have never seen any on a cactus before, so to the more experienced eye, does it look healthy? It is quite firm and clean all over (again it is wet as I washed the peatty compost off)

Post Edited (08-07-06 13:27)
Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (97.7 KiB) Viewed 3683 times
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Maria J
BCSS Member

Re: Mamm Duwei roots

Post by Maria J »

Another view:

Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (84.44 KiB) Viewed 3683 times
Maria

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Phil White
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Phil White »

Hi Maria,
Yes it looks fine, just make sure you give it a gritty compost and will grow well for you.
HTH.

Phil White
Wiltshire, England
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Looks great! White roots are always good.

Cheshire, UK
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

I'm giong to have to start paying closer attention to what Wilko's have in stock!
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Andrew H
Registered Guest

Post by Andrew H »

Agree with the others - all looks fine down there.

Andrew H
Dagenham, Essex
Maria J
BCSS Member

Post by Maria J »

Thanks everyone, I?ve put it in a peat free compost with plenty of fine grit and perlite too, so I hope it will be happy. I?m relieved to know it?s normal anyway!
(Wilkos have stopped stocking cacti at the moment, back in store after Xmas I would imagine! Hopefully!!)

Maria