Durable labels

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil_SK
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Durable labels

Post by Phil_SK »

I've just spent some time looking at what remains of my much neglected cactus collection (I've given it no attention, bar the occasional watering if it didn't rain, for about 6 years) I'm down to a paltry 36 plants from a collection that used to number 200-300. I'm struggling to work out names for some because the labels have been broken. A few years ago it wouldn't have mattered - I knew them all by sight. Luckily, I have a paper record of everything I used to have, which has allowed me to identify all but one Echinopsis.
Anyway, my post is about the labels. I've noticed that some of you have rather nice printed labels and I wondered how you did them. Or are there any other good sources of labels out there I should know about (Used to use commonly available white stick labels which are terribly brittle after a few years, and also T labels, which I think I got through the BCSS years ago but which are now also fairly fragile).
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia

Re: Durable labels

Post by Guest »

Phil,

I use the standard stick labels which I buy in bulk. I then use a Brother p-touch 9500 PC printer to print the labels directly from my database.

Phil White
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Phil White »

Phil,
I haven't seen them here but in Belgium/Holland they have good quality labels that don't break when you bend them. If you know anyone who is going to ELK (Sept.) then get them to buy you some. I have used them myself for about 4 years & have seen them in other collections after 7+ years & they do not deteriorate, they are an excellent investment. I will be at ELK but it might not be practical to re-post them but you are welcome to contact me.
HTH

Phil White
Wiltshire, England
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON

Post by Geoff Lovell »

Phil...Could you post a photo of said label

Founder member BCSS # 32426,
Growing Cacti and Succulents for over 40 years,
mixed collection but prefer succulents particularly caudiciforms.
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Hi Phil SK

I use a handheld version of the printer that Bob has, P-Touch 1000, cost about ?25.00 I think.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Phil White
BCSS Member

Post by Phil White »

This is a pic of the labels as bought in Belgium a few years ago. The "main" seller was a Dutch man but he has retired so I have noticed in recent years there are less of them for sale so I must grab some more. They may seem expensive but durbale is certainly the operative word & should last for years. The next pic gives a better idea.

Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (55.98 KiB) Viewed 3854 times
Phil White
Wiltshire, England
Phil White
BCSS Member

Post by Phil White »

This gives an example of their flexibility. The white one is out of the packet but the yellow is an old one from the greenhouse & is at least 3 years old & seems the same as when I bought it.

Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (30.8 KiB) Viewed 3854 times
Phil White
Wiltshire, England
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON

Post by Geoff Lovell »

Thanks Phil...I thought you meant tee labels.

Founder member BCSS # 32426,
Growing Cacti and Succulents for over 40 years,
mixed collection but prefer succulents particularly caudiciforms.
Krister
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Krister »

Hi, Bob.

Do you feed the labels directly into the printer, Brother p-touch 9500?

Those white labels can be bought in Sweden for approximately 17.89 GBP, quantity 1000 peases. They are arrowshaped in one end, thats nice when to put them in the pot.
I'm a little afraid of telling were to buy them, but if someone is interested contact me with private mail.

Regards, Krister Persson
Skane, Sweden
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hi Krister

The P touch printers print self-adhesive labels, supposedly waterproof and fade proof.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.