RSM again ;-(

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AmberUK
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

RSM again ;-(

Post by AmberUK »

how many times would you expect to have to dip/spray a plant to get rid of red spider mite? I did a dip of scotts last week after several weeks of spraying with that and an oil seed rape based spray and I am still struggling. How far from my other cacti do I need to put them? I have some I kinda think might be ok now but don't want to put them back in the main collection just yet but don't want them to get reinfected.

Odiham, Hampshire (UK)

Re: RSM again ;-(

Post by Guest »

I use Provado and I spray 3 times a week apart if I see evidence of RSM, it seems to clear it.

AmberUK
Registered Guest

Post by AmberUK »

silly question but which pravado? I have the vine weevil one and the one that does mealy. Is there another one?
The scotts one really made my hands stink.

Odiham, Hampshire (UK)
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Provado aerosol includes methiocarb which is a contact miticide. Incidentally it also kills slugs and snails! The other Provado products do not contain this ingredient. Provado concentrate does include a horticultural oil which smothers spider mites. Provado RTU does not kill mites.

Cheshire, UK
AmberUK
Registered Guest

Post by AmberUK »

So if its either a miticide or an oil based one I am doing that already. Will just stick with it then. Thanks for the reply
Amber

Odiham, Hampshire (UK)
Derek
Registered Guest

Post by Derek »

Why not try the cure suggested on this forum some time ago and spray the plants thoroughly with a solution of washing up liquid? It's environmentally friendly and it really does work! I keep the plants in the shade (or spray in the evening) whilst treating them and repeat the dose weekly for two or three weeks.
Regards Derek Milton Keynes UK
AmberUK
Registered Guest

Post by AmberUK »

I use Ecover products and so wasn't sure if that would work. I also thought that the oil rape based products did the same thing as washing up liquid and so had been using that as I had some in.

Odiham, Hampshire (UK)
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Regular spraying with water will help keep populations down (I can't guarantee it'll kill them all off) simply because RSMs need dry conditions and don't like humidity. Most of the plants we grow can take a daily misting during the growing season.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Derek
Registered Guest

Post by Derek »

Sprayings with water alone, as you say, discourages the mites, but unfortunately they survive this treatment due to the surface tension property of the water. Washing up liquid destroys the surface tension of the water which is then able to envelop the mites and they drown. The only survivors of a good thorough spraying with washing up solution are the eggs, and these can be dealt with by repeated treatments at 7 to 10 day intervals for a couple of weeks or so. Examination with a magnifier (10X minimum recommended) will show the drowned mites' bodies still clinging to the plant. If they move when you gently blow on them, spray again immediately. In the old days cactus growers used soft soap dissolved in water which had the same effect but washing up liquid is far more convenient.
Regards Derek Milton Keynes UK
Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Mike »

Has anyone tried Spidermite Control?
http://www.spidermitecontrol.com/
I have a bottle as I try to reduce artificial chemical spraying to a minimum, but I haven't had to use it yet!
Mike

Based in Wiltshire and growing a mix of cacti and succulents.