RSM again ;-(

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AmberUK
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: RSM again ;-(

Post by AmberUK »

Ok taken some photos just now posted them at
They are quite big I can shrink if need be, but I thought the detail might be useful.
The Chamaecereus Sylvestres has gone a bit black. It corked last year in the greenhouse and I think the repeated spraying this year has made it go a funny colour. But as you can see there has been new growth but some of the new growth has gone corked/RSM'ed (they are outside and in partial shade so I do not believe corking is an issue this year)

Odiham, Hampshire (UK)
AmberUK
Registered Guest

Post by AmberUK »

Do the pictures show anything useful or are they too big and need shrinking?
Thanks
Amber

Odiham, Hampshire (UK)
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Pic's OK. Is there any evidence of RSM on the newer growth - it looks undamaged in the photo?
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
AmberUK
Registered Guest

Post by AmberUK »

On the first picture the small new growth by the lable didn't have that corking a few days ago. It was like the other new bits. Is that red spider mite damage (on the three cacti I have photo'd)? Because if I know it is then I can just keep an eye out, I am worried they are not liking all the spraying.
Thanks
Amber

Odiham, Hampshire (UK)
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Hi Amber,

RSM usually evident as rusty coloured damage to the epidermis of the plant and usually around the crown where there is new growth but sometimes elsewhere.

As long as you use recommended miticides/sprays etc.. and keep the plants in a shaded position out of direct sunshine you should cause no damage to the plants. Alternatively you can spray late in the evening.

A method I tried and which seemed to work although it may of already been mentioned was too depot the plant, remove the excess soil and submerge the whole plant in soapy water (drop or two of washing up liquid to 1 litre of water) and leave it for say half an hour and then allow to dry off.

AmberUK
Registered Guest

Post by AmberUK »

The last time I was due to spray the cacti I actually did a dip. Since then the Chamaecereus Sylvestres has looked a bit sad on the old growth last year that got corked. So now I am trying to work out if I can stop the dip/spraying because this has been going on for weeks and some of the cacti seem a little unhappy. I am more concerned about the repeated wettings than the posibilty of scorch from the sun.

I didn't depot the cact when I dipped. It was a warm day at the time and I thought they would be ok.

Odiham, Hampshire (UK)
Derek
Registered Guest

Post by Derek »

I can't see any pictures!
It seems to me that the damage to your plants isn't due to rsm at all, as repeated doses of washing up liquid will kill all the mites without fail.
Can you see any mites around the top of the plants and particularly in the folds in the epidermis?
Regards Derek Milton Keynes UK
Karen-L
Registered Guest

Post by Karen-L »

maybe you could trim the pictures down a bit, cut some of the background off, might make the files about 2 thirds the size- the picture i tried took a while to download and i have broadband.
The detail is useful as it is, resizing would make it too blurry.

Joined BCSS Southport Branch January 2008
AmberUK
Registered Guest

Post by AmberUK »

I haven't been able to see the mites at all, this has been the problem. Maybe I will let them rest for a bit and see if the damage doesn't continue
Thanks for the replies
Amber

Odiham, Hampshire (UK)
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

It took me an age with dial up!!!!
I agree with Karen's comments though.

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!