Cactology closing down

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil_SK
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Cactology closing down

Post by Phil_SK »

I?ve just searched the forum for mentions of Cactology but could find only 3. This small nursery on the Cheshire/Shropshire border near the M6 at Stoke is closing down but still has plenty of plants.
http://www.cactology.co.uk/index.htm
I visited today and came home with about 40 plants (which is far, far more than I would normally buy on a nursery trip). They sell exclusively cacti, globular plants predominating. John?s personal collection plants which are all being sold off include lots of Gymnos, Coryphanthas, Mamms, etc and a huge number of Lobivias, many propagated (either by seed or vegatively) from 1970s habitat-collected plants, many with field numbers, others with the original collector?s trade names. Although many probably wouldn?t stand up to today?s conservative classifications they represent an excellent opportunity to obtain clones of some of these plants. Some are available as breeding pairs. Prices are very reasonable.
The larger glasshouse holds the nursery sale stock in 3? or 3.5? pots mostly (the top picture on the homepage). This more varied selection is easier to get your head round as the plants are more exhaustively listed on the website. There are no prices listed at the moment for some reason but again nothing is expensive.
I came away with a load of Sulcorebutias, the odd Parodia, Echinocereus, Rebutia and Mammilaria and a vast number of big Lobivias.
I wouldn?t normally plug a nursery but John was so helpful and enthusiastic about his plants and when I picked a plant out and he said he?d expected to compost that one I thought I?d make an exception. It?d be a real shame if people within visiting distance didn?t consider a trip over (I contacted him beforehand to check someone was there). He does mail order plants too but many of the plants in ones or twos aren?t listed.
Two photos here ? the first shows most of the smaller plants, the second the Lobivias. My apologies for the lighting ? it went really dark outside whilst I was setting the plants up and I didn?t want to use flash.
PS: Anyone wanting a large greenhouse in the medium term might want to contact John too.

Post Edited (08-24-06 07:57)
Attachments
4Sy3RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAJAA8BAgAGAAAAegAAABABAgAUAAAAgAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAlAAAABsBBQABAAAAnAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAApAAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAAuAAAAC4GAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBQb3dlclNob3QgQTcwALQAAAABAAAAtAAAAAE
4Sy3RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAJAA8BAgAGAAAAegAAABABAgAUAAAAgAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAlAAAABsBBQABAAAAnAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAApAAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAAuAAAAC4GAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBQb3dlclNob3QgQTcwALQAAAABAAAAtAAAAAE (85.18 KiB) Viewed 3370 times
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Phil_SK

Re: Cactology closing down

Post by Phil_SK »

lobivias:
Attachments
4SqBRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAJAA8BAgAGAAAAegAAABABAgAUAAAAgAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAlAAAABsBBQABAAAAnAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAApAAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAAuAAAAC4GAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBQb3dlclNob3QgQTcwALQAAAABAAAAtAAAAAE
4SqBRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAJAA8BAgAGAAAAegAAABABAgAUAAAAgAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAlAAAABsBBQABAAAAnAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAApAAAABMCAwABAAAAAQAAAGmHBAABAAAAuAAAAC4GAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBQb3dlclNob3QgQTcwALQAAAABAAAAtAAAAAE (73.89 KiB) Viewed 3370 times
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
iann
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

If I had a large greenhouse, I might have enough space to buy some of those plants :(

Cheshire, UK
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Hi Phil
I went about a month ago and bought some turbinacarpus plants at a very reasonable price and if I had more room I would have bought a lot more

Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

I only live about 30 minutes away and have resisted so far the temptation to visit as I REALLY do lack room... You're not helping Phil! Lol!
I just know that if I go I'll get carried away... Oh what am I going to do!!!

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Maria

Buy a greenhouse & then you can shop, shop, shop !!

Phil

You certainly had a good time, glad it's not just me thats a compulsive shopper :~)

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
wadey

Post by wadey »

went myself lass than 2 weeks ago and got some nice plants and at a great discounted price too..i purchased a few thelo's,a few mature gymno's and some echinocactus horizonthalonius plus mamm pectinifera,fero's and a couple of echinocerius.most were good sized plants and at less than ?50 for the lot great value..i suggest more people from the forum pay john a visit as he has lots of interesting stuff for sale including journals,books home made staging ( superb) and of course a rake of decent plants..
you may rue the opportunity if you dont visit,shop till your nose bleeds is my advice..
dave..
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

Glad it's not just me who thinks this is too good a chance to miss.
North Lincs Mike
Registered Guest
Branch: GRIMSBY

Post by North Lincs Mike »

I decided to make the trek over the Derbyshire moors and Peak District on a lovely sunny day and was glad I did. Ended up with a dozen new plants in pots up to five/six inches all for ?25. Mind you in my case the petrol probably - certainly - cost more than that but that doesn't really count does it.

Newish collector/grower; mixed lot in a new 12x18 g/h and my old re-erected 10x8 - good job I didn't sell it !