Pink Pebble

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Rob
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Pink Pebble

Post by Rob »

Hi All

After a couple of failed attempts in the past (yellow flowers!) I was DELIGHTED to see this flower open today!!!!!

Ok its not a red like the one in Hammers book but it isnt white or yellow!

I only have the one though so I'm not sure what I should try to pollinate it with?

Attachments
4RV7RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgALAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAGAAAAnQAAABABAgAGAAAAowAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqQAAABsBBQABAAAAsQAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAuQAAADIBAgAUAAAAzQAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA5AAAAFQDAAAgICAgICAgICAgAE5JS09
4RV7RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgALAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAGAAAAnQAAABABAgAGAAAAowAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqQAAABsBBQABAAAAsQAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAAuQAAADIBAgAUAAAAzQAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA5AAAAFQDAAAgICAgICAgICAgAE5JS09 (80.79 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
Rob
BCSS member since 1980.
Plant Heritage National Collection of Turbinicarpus.
BCSS Conservation Committee member.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Re: Pink Pebble

Post by iann »

Freeze the pollen. I have a batch of seedlings coming along and I'm sure at least one will be reasonably pink. Say in a couple of years time ;)

That really is neat. I'll be delighted if any of my plants come through that colour.

Cheshire, UK
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Very nice Rob, thanks for sharing it with us!

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Rob, one pollination tip is to use Herreanthus pollen to encourage selfing. Or you can try any other mesemb pollen you happen to have around, avoiding anything that might potentially cross with a Lithops. Tickle every day and keep your fingers crossed.

Or you could just cross it with any old L. verruculosa. The pink genes seem to be present to some degree in all of them so you might get something from the offspring.

Cheshire, UK
Rob
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Rob »

Hi Ian

I do have one or two other mesembs in flower so will try a 'wide cross' to see what happens.

I have a handfull of seedlings as 'Rose of Texas' which I reckon are a couple of years off flowering so hopefully in time I will be able to cross two pink flowered plants.

Rob
BCSS member since 1980.
Plant Heritage National Collection of Turbinicarpus.
BCSS Conservation Committee member.