Tephrocactus ID

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aloenut
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Tephrocactus ID

Post by Aloenut »

Hi All,

I have this plant labeled as Tephrocactus geometricus. Is this the genuine one? Or is it Tephro alexandri?

Thanks
Aloenut
Attachments
wAARCAHgAWg
wAARCAHgAWg (32.08 KiB) Viewed 2935 times
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Re: Tephrocactus ID

Post by Roy »

I think it's geometricus
Member Bcss
Roy
BCSS Member

Post by Roy »

I must admit on some stalls at the ELK it seemed to be label the small Opuntias anyway you like! :-))
Member Bcss
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Looks right to me too. Bear in mind that NCL reduces T. geometricus to a synonym of T. alexanderi.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Roy
BCSS Member

Post by Roy »

......and what a range of plants we have called T. alexandrii to start with :-)))
Member Bcss
Roy
BCSS Member

Post by Roy »

That should have been alexanderi, too much Stella Blonde at the supermarket------- now I wonder where I have just picked that nasty habit up from ! :-)))))
Member Bcss
Guillermo
Registered Guest

Post by Guillermo »

hello guys

just a short note.

It should be called T. alexanderii. Yes it is true that at hight altitudes, one can find similar specimens without spination, and those were called T. geometicus. It is however difficult to draw a line on when to call one name or the other, therefore justifying the merging of the two names.

Cheers,

Guillermo

I just posted a "typical" T geometricus .

Aloenut
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by Aloenut »

Hi,

Guilermo, thanks for posting the photo of the Tephro. In the UK cacti and succulents often look very different from the plants in habitat.

Aloenut
Roy
BCSS Member

Post by Roy »

Just a point of view. As you say plants do change with altitude and many plants grade from one to another however I would have thought that if a plant was removed from it's natural habitat and continued to grow as it did in habitat, and that growth was obviously different from the "type" then that would have been good enough reason to give it a different name. Are names not given to enable us to distinguish one plant from another? As to the "correct" name that changes like the wind.
Member Bcss