Green Stones

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aloenut
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Green Stones

Post by Aloenut »

Hi All,

A photo of Lithops viridis. Pity only one has a flower though. I would have liked to have tried to pollinate them.

Aloenut
Attachments
4ReRRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAYAA4BAgAgAAAALgEAAA8BAgASAAAATgEAABABAgAKAAAAYAEAABIBAwABAAAAAQBqdRoBBQABAAAAagEAABsBBQABAAAAcgEAACgBAwABAAAAAgAWFDEBAgAKAAAAegEAADIBAgAUAAAAhAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgATFWmHBAABAAAA0AEAABSSAwAEAAAAmAEAAAGkAwABAAA
4ReRRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAYAA4BAgAgAAAALgEAAA8BAgASAAAATgEAABABAgAKAAAAYAEAABIBAwABAAAAAQBqdRoBBQABAAAAagEAABsBBQABAAAAcgEAACgBAwABAAAAAgAWFDEBAgAKAAAAegEAADIBAgAUAAAAhAEAABMCAwABAAAAAgATFWmHBAABAAAA0AEAABSSAwAEAAAAmAEAAAGkAwABAAA (69.19 KiB) Viewed 2965 times
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Re: Green Stones

Post by iann »

Very nice. This one is near the top of my wants list. I know several people who have them but seed seems to be near impossible to find in Europe at the moment. Definite shame you can't pollinate!

Cheshire, UK
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Roy »

Its always worth trying some other pollen on it, sometimes they set seed and you have nothing to loose.
Member Bcss
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

How does the other pollen work Roy? Wouldn't that result in a cross? I don't know if all those plants in that pot originated as one plant. If they did they would be genetically identical anyway. So having more than one flower wouldn't make any difference. I always tickle one flower and hope for self fertilisation if I only have one plant (In general, that is - I've only got two Lithops and only one of those has flowered).

Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

Hi Frank,

What a deep fissure they have!

You could try crossing with any distantly related Mesemb and hope that it induces self-pollination. I believe SH says this works some times.

DT, London, UK
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Roy »

It's not exclusive to lithops, its been known that cacti can be made to produce fertile, non hybrid, seed when stimulated with pollen from unrelated plants.
Steven Hammer states that some Lithops can be stimulated to produce seed by being "tickled" with their own pollen. He also states that very occasionally a single Lithops will be self fertile and produce fertile seed by itself. He suggests that if you are trying a foreign pollen, Conophytum herreanthus, Fenestraria rhopalophylla, or Agroderma delaetii might be good ones to try. He thinks the foreign pollen is not genetically absorbed in any way it merely breaks down the plants resistance to its own pollen and allows it to work.
As always, play around a bit, you may find out something useful to all of us

Lithops Treasures of the Veld page 33
Member Bcss
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

That's an interesting piece of botany - fascinating stuff. I'll try it whenever I get the chance. I have only one of most things and rarely get any seed. Not that I need to grow more of what I've already got, but it would be nice to contribute to the seed pool.

Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Aloenut
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by Aloenut »

Last evening I tried some pollen of Tanquana. Hopefully something will happen.