My first Caudiciform!!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Maria J
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

My first Caudiciform!!

Post by Maria J »

At our branch meeting last Wednesday, we had an excellent, informative and humorous talk by Bill Morris. He also brought 3 trays of succulents & other types of plant, so I bough a Dioscorea Elephantipes. It's small for now (in a 2" pot) but I hope that in time, (and the right care!!) it will become an intriguing plant!!

Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (58.96 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: My first Caudiciform!!

Post by Roy »

I like those and so does my wife so they are part of my secret indoor collection and whats more she waters them! :-)
Member Bcss
CactusChris
BCSS Member

Post by CactusChris »

Hi Maria,
Now you're in trouble.......I bet it is not alone for long!
It is a nice plant and develops really nicely as the years go on. I found that as young plants they grow when watered. Once they go dormant they seem to decide when to be in active growth, mostly in late autumn rather than spring if i remember correctly.

Best regards

Chris

BCSS Mid-Cheshire Branch, England - All photos copyright of C.Hynes
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Maria

Congrats on the new acquisition, the caudex grows better if they are covered/protected when young so I would advise a repot with soil to the same level on the plant but protect the caudex with an inch or so of grit.

Someone else may have more advice as I only have a couple & they are still young but it's nice when you have plants that grow at different times of the year, just be careful about watering when it's dormant.

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Rabbit attacks elephant's foot

Post by MikeT »

Maria

Elephant's feet aren't without enemies. This one was savaged by a house rabbit we were looking after for a few days.
Most of them are coming into growth again, a couple have flower buds forming. I'll post a picture when they open; not the most exciting flowers, unless 2-3mm green flowers are a favourite. I think the plants with the buds developing are both males (identifed on previous occasions). If you want to collect your own seed, you need male & female plants; I don't think there's any way to tell them apart until they flower.

Mike T
Sheffield branch member, growing Dioscorea elephantipes many years

Post Edited (09-18-06 15:29)
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Rabbit attacks elephant's foot

Post by MikeT »

Maria

should be a picture this time
Attachments
4RsBRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqwAAABsBBQABAAAAswAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAdAAAAuwAAADIBAgAUAAAA2AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAA7AAAAGmHBAABAAAA9wAAALkDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20ASAAAAAEAAAB
4RsBRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAQAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqwAAABsBBQABAAAAswAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAdAAAAuwAAADIBAgAUAAAA2AAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgALAAAA7AAAAGmHBAABAAAA9wAAALkDAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl4MTQwMFpvb20ASAAAAAEAAAB (92.2 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Maria J
BCSS Member

Post by Maria J »

Thanks everyone for your comments & advice!
Bill (Morris) told me basically to water when the vine was growing and stop when it died in spring (and cut it back about 1 cm above the caudex), then not water again until a new vine growth appeared. It sounded ?easy? enough?

Fortunately, I don?t have a rabbit!! ;-)
(I read that these plants were in fact Yam family so no doubt tasted / smelled irresistible to the bunny!!)
I will be repotting it shortly so have made note of covering the caudex Tina, thanks!

Maria

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Maria J
BCSS Member

PS MikeT

Post by Maria J »

Yes please, I'd love to see pics of the flowers when they open!

Maria

Phil White
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE

Post by Phil White »

GREAT choice of plant for your 1st caudiciform Maria I only have a few & this is one of them.
Attached is a pic of my plant but if it's flowers you want don't get excited, mine has just finished & they are rather insignificant see my next post.

Attachments
8QAHQAAAgMBAQEBAQA
8QAHQAAAgMBAQEBAQA (85.54 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
Phil White
Wiltshire, England
Phil White
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE

Post by Phil White »

And heres the flowers...........at least what's left of them. They were many of them a few weeks ago but still not too exciting.

Attachments
8QAHAAAAwADAQEBAAA
8QAHAAAAwADAQEBAAA (16.26 KiB) Viewed 3346 times
Phil White
Wiltshire, England