Beginners and Novices

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Julie
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Beginners and Novices

Post by Julie »

Good idea Rob, I will post it here when done. It would be handy to know if the balance of dry info / fluffy stuff needs adjusting for the audience (which I'm not familiar with - I will join as soon as I get a job, honest!), or if there are any obvious questions left unanswered.

The one thing I can't find, is the expected lifespan for a Forb. I hope they don't outlive me! :o
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi

Sorry I have been lax about replying, we can submit a draft of any articles to Roy & he will let us know what he thinks.

If you are shy you could email him direct as you don't need to go thru me or if someone wishes to be the organiser for this project than feel free as I'm starting a new research project soon so will have less time.

I think Bob was thinking of doing a completely new article but it wouldn't be until next yr as seed sowing would start Jan so grafting wouldn't be until a months or so later.

Robs suggestion on starting a thread or two sounds good and I also thought Chris suggestions for possible articles was good.

Finally one of my obesa's , it was a failed graft stock but now has a pup forming on each rib, sorry for showing Julie a photo of what happens when you behead an obesa but one pup does look a bit monstrose so quite interesting really.

Attachments
4R1WRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAPAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqgAAABsBBQABAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAcAAAAugAAADIBAgAUAAAA1gAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA6gAAAGmHBAABAAAA8AAAABADAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl
4R1WRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAJAAAAkgAAABABAgAPAAAAmwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAqgAAABsBBQABAAAAsgAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAcAAAAugAAADIBAgAUAAAA1gAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAJiCAgAFAAAA6gAAAGmHBAABAAAA8AAAABADAABGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl (85.84 KiB) Viewed 1906 times
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
North Lincs Mike
Registered Guest
Branch: GRIMSBY

Post by North Lincs Mike »

Hello everyone,

That's an interesting photo of the Obesa Tina.

You are right; what we need is a volunteer to organise this. You kindly suggested me earlier but I am not the person to do this due to my lack of knowledge. We need someone with more experience and a deeper understanding of the issues.

Won't somone volunteer?

Mike

Newish collector/grower; mixed lot in a new 12x18 g/h and my old re-erected 10x8 - good job I didn't sell it !
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Tina, wow... amazing how it recovers by making more heads! Have the heads ever flowered? I guess they would need to be a few years old like a seedling needs to be. I bet this is what they do in the wild when an antelope nibbles the top off.

I often wonder what is inside an EO, maybe you can satisfy my curiosity. Is it segmented like an orange?

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi julie

Its a very small plant in a 2.5 "pot so hasn't flowered,No-no segments like an orange & I doubt any animals will nibble a Euphorb for long as the sap is is not very nice & when swallowed corrosive ( I believe), it's advisable to wear glasses when grafting Euprhorbs & rinse any sap off your hands with water ASAP

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Hi Tina,

I've been potting up my new boy and washed my hands like an obsessive-compulsive sufferer. :) (pic in the new additions thread.)