Lophphora Williamsii+astrophytum  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
biskvit
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Identification Request

Post by biskvit »

Hi!
can u help me identify what tipe of lophophora that is?

10x

Biskvit
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Lophphora Williamsii+astrophytum

Post by Phil_SK »

I just meant that plants that cope with direct sunlight in the UK might not like Israeli direct sun (although probably not the case with Lophophora!)
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Hi Biskvit!

Sorry, can't help with your ID question, but welcome to the forum anyway!

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!

Re: Identification Request

Post by Guest »

Biskvit,

The problem with lophophora is they all look alike when small although some look such as lutea with look slightly greener. The larger one looks like a williamsii that is freely offsetting, is it a graft.

Even when they flower it is not always obvious as for example I have a diffusa with very dark (almost red) flowers. It was grown from Mesa Garden seed with habitat information.

To be honest I just label them with the names I buy them as.

anders
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by anders »

Bob wrote:

> As both these also like limestone I add gypsum chippings to the compost as well.

This is something that I have never understood (but I have seen it many times before). Why not use marble or limestone instead? Pure gypsum does not have any effect on pH. Or is it just the high calcium concentration that they like?

Post by Guest »

Anders,

The real problem is getting hold of small limestone or marble chippings, if I could get them I would use them.

anders
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by anders »

Really? I have often found white marble chippings in flower-shops and supermarkets here. It is obviously intended for decorative purposes, but I add it to soil for Astrophytum and other lime-loving plants. Is it unavailable where you live? I thought it was a widespread product.