'Elephants feet'

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

'Elephants feet'

Post by Tina »

Hi all

Well after being made jealous the other day by Roy & Jez's photo's of their Testudiaria/Dioscorea plants, I was lucky enough to be offered two by a retired member of our club & showing my normal restraint I filled a couple of boxes of extra's.

Does anyone know why they are such different shapes, looking at the leaf shape they are both testudinaria elepantipes ?, also when is the nbest time to repot, I thought it would be when they are resting but need clarification ?

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Re: 'Elephants feet'

Post by Maria J »

Well I've 'dug up' this post as I remember Tina asking the question, but hadn't realised that no-one ever answered, but then that explains why I couldn't remember the answer!! ;) I would also like to know when is the best time to repot it please! (Did you repot yours yet Tina?)
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Maria

No I didn't repot them in the end & where did the photo go??
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
igortchern
Registered Guest

Post by igortchern »

Yes, for Dioscorea elephantidens as she has some periods of growth it is better to rerot it during rest period. You should remove all old and dead roots and repot in fresh ground.

Igor Tchernodola
Belgium
[attachment 2046 Dioscorea_01.jpg]
Attachments
+RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAMAA4BAgAgAAAAPA4AAA8BAgAYAAAAXA4AABABAgARAAAAdA4AABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAkAkAABsBBQABAAAAmAkAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAgAAAAhg4AADIBAgAUAAAAKA4AABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAACgEAAKXEBwD0AAAAqA4AAIQCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
+RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAMAA4BAgAgAAAAPA4AAA8BAgAYAAAAXA4AABABAgARAAAAdA4AABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAkAkAABsBBQABAAAAmAkAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAgAAAAhg4AADIBAgAUAAAAKA4AABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAACgEAAKXEBwD0AAAAqA4AAIQCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (74.41 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Tina/Maria

Just to give you a range of options, I usually do the opposite to Igor (sorry Igor!) & repot once the new shoot has started to appear, but before the leaves have started to open. I have just put in a larger pot at times, leaving the rootball intact, but more commonly do as Igor does and tease out the old compost, taking a lot of old roots out. Roots from the margin of the base tend to be alive, those nearer the centre are older and often dead. If you want to give fresh compost, it's a lot easier to remove the old thatch, then poor new compost into the space left. Elephant's feet really are forgiving plants, mine have put up with all sorts of mistreatment/neglect over the years. Don't be too anxious about details for repotting.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Thanks everyone!
It's a relief to know they are forgiving plants!
I'll repot next weekend I think!
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!