Skywards: Nice "Cacti"

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Skywards: Nice "Cacti"

Post by Bill »

Nice article in the Daily Express about Geoff's Agave. Shame the headline and throughout the article refered to it as a cacti, but it's a great picture Geoff. If you want it I can keep it for you.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Agavegeoff
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Re: Skywards: Nice

Post by Agavegeoff »

Hi, Bill.

I explained about the cacti bit ,they said Succulent can refer to many other things.
That why it's a cactus.

Looks like it will be in lots of papers and magazines.

I have mentioned a google search for Skywards Part 10. Wonder if the hits have gone up.

Post Edited (10-05-06 18:56)
Cheers Agavegeoff.

Long time Gloucester and District Branch member. NCCPG Agave collection holder.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Skywards: Nice "Cacti"

Post by iann »

:) Those journalists never let the facts get in the way of a good story :(

Cheshire, UK
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Hehe! I just saw that today as I got my Dad to get his paper from work. (he does not bring them home, just brings his politics rants.. :p )

And my first thought was... (even being a newb)... "it's not a cactus!" Surely half the population thought the same thing. We all know cacti are sort of spiky looking, even if we're not experts!

However the word "Succulent" was probably too long and would have obscured the flowering part in the picture. ;)

Sad to think it's has it's chips. I once had a houseleek (or a plant that looks like one) which flowered it's socks off and then died. :(
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Nyubocs
BCSS Member

Re: Skywards: Nice

Post by Nyubocs »

Hmmm!

This Article translated to german languague under the banner to "10 meter cactus" with 48 arm :) :(

http://www.zisch.ch/navigation/top_main ... OID=203741

Post Edited (10-06-06 19:46)
Regards Ervin (alias nyubocs)

Petervasara (Hungary)
(Sorry, my english not to perfect)
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

Courtesy of my barber, attached is a copy of the article from Thursday's Daily Express about Geoff's Agave. (Alas, it is a bit too wide for my scanner!)

Fortunately I was in the Bristol area on cactus business and we saw Geoff on the local ITV news programme, just before 6:30 p.m. The interview was at least two minutes long and gave a good indication of the enormous size of the Agave. Graphically, they showed that it is about the size of six lady reporters standing upon each other's shoulders!

Well done Geoff for getting our plants some national (& international?) news coverage.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (82.19 KiB) Viewed 3208 times
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

The article in German is hilarious. Without a picture, and unless I'm missing something very subtle in the German, it describes an absolutely out-of-this-world cactus!

Thanks for the scan. The article isn't too bad really, mentions "Agave" a few times and even gives the full botanical name.

Cheshire, UK
Agavegeoff
BCSS Member

Post by Agavegeoff »

Hi, All.

What have I started, monsterous cacti.

The story is told once, then it is like the message Send re enforcements we are going to advance. and by the time it has been repeated a few time it is Send 3 and 4 pence we are going to a dance.

Cheers Agavegeoff.

Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Hehehe!

But it is refreshing to read something nice amid all the blood and guts and doom and gloom.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Agavegeoff
BCSS Member

Skywards Part 11 Day 131

Post by Agavegeoff »

Hi, All.

Suddenly it is all quiet, but the agave keeps growing.

Attachments
7QDeUGhvdG9zaG9wIDMuMAA4QklNBAQAAAAAAMEcAlAAC1BpY2FzYSAyLjAAHAJ1AJg8aGVsbG9zdGFtcD4KIDxnaWQ+MC0wLTdmZmZmZmZmLTA8L2dpZD4KIDxtZDU+MC0wLTAtMDwvbWQ1PgogPG9yaWdXaWR0aD4wPC9vcmlnV2lkdGg+CiA8b3JpZ0hlaWdodD4wPC9vcmlnSGVpZ2h0PgogPG9yaWd
7QDeUGhvdG9zaG9wIDMuMAA4QklNBAQAAAAAAMEcAlAAC1BpY2FzYSAyLjAAHAJ1AJg8aGVsbG9zdGFtcD4KIDxnaWQ+MC0wLTdmZmZmZmZmLTA8L2dpZD4KIDxtZDU+MC0wLTAtMDwvbWQ1PgogPG9yaWdXaWR0aD4wPC9vcmlnV2lkdGg+CiA8b3JpZ0hlaWdodD4wPC9vcmlnSGVpZ2h0PgogPG9yaWd (55.47 KiB) Viewed 3208 times
Cheers Agavegeoff.