just for interest

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Roy
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

just for interest

Post by Roy »

You may recall last winter I posted a picture of a C. santa cruziensis and said it was producing different coloured flowers than the scarlet ones I was expecting, well it's at it again. Time will tell whether the flowers with the yellow tips eventually turn red.
Attachments
4TtuRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgAgAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAYAAAAsgAAABABAgARAAAAygAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAA2wAAABsBBQABAAAA4wAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAgAAAA6wAAADIBAgAVAAAACwEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAIAEAACoMAABPTFlNUFVTIERJR0lUQUwgQ0FNRVJBICAgICAgICAgAE9
4TtuRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgAgAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAYAAAAsgAAABABAgARAAAAygAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAA2wAAABsBBQABAAAA4wAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAgAAAA6wAAADIBAgAVAAAACwEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAIAEAACoMAABPTFlNUFVTIERJR0lUQUwgQ0FNRVJBICAgICAgICAgAE9 (76.25 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
Member Bcss
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: just for interest

Post by Cactus Jack »

Hi Roy would that be male and female flowers on the same plant ?? theres a staimen protruding from one ?

Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
Roy
BCSS Member

Post by Roy »

Hi Jack,
I don't think so, both seem to have all the required bits
Attachments
4UirRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgAgAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAYAAAAsgAAABABAgARAAAAygAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAA2wAAABsBBQABAAAA4wAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAgAAAA6wAAADIBAgAVAAAACwEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAIAEAACoMAABPTFlNUFVTIERJR0lUQUwgQ0FNRVJBICAgICAgICAgAE9
4UirRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgAgAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAYAAAAsgAAABABAgARAAAAygAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAA2wAAABsBBQABAAAA4wAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAgAAAA6wAAADIBAgAVAAAACwEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAIAEAACoMAABPTFlNUFVTIERJR0lUQUwgQ0FNRVJBICAgICAgICAgAE9 (76.53 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
Member Bcss
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Wow! You would assume them to be from different plants side by side like that!!

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Roy
BCSS Member

Post by Roy »

Hi Maria,
it's a failing of mine, other people reach for a book. I reach for a scalpel and cut things open and have a look:-))))
Attachments
4TY4RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgAgAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAYAAAAsgAAABABAgARAAAAygAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAA2wAAABsBBQABAAAA4wAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAgAAAA6wAAADIBAgAVAAAACwEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAIAEAACoMAABPTFlNUFVTIERJR0lUQUwgQ0FNRVJBICAgICAgICAgAE9
4TY4RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgAgAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAYAAAAsgAAABABAgARAAAAygAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAA2wAAABsBBQABAAAA4wAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAgAAAA6wAAADIBAgAVAAAACwEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAIAEAACoMAABPTFlNUFVTIERJR0lUQUwgQ0FNRVJBICAgICAgICAgAE9 (89.04 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
Member Bcss
Roy
BCSS Member

Post by Roy »

I've put this on the forum before but luckily when my computer crashed and I lost a lot of info I had a copy of this.
I have taken pictures of vascular bundles before but they have been of dried specimens. This was of a freshly cut plant so the texture was still swollen. It shows how the vascular bundle has adapted to the wound caused when a limb was cut off the cactus
Attachments
4SYVRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA4BAgAgAAAAhgAAAA8BAgAFAAAApgAAABABAgAKAAAAqwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtQAAABsBBQABAAAAvQAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAVAAAAxQAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA2gAAAJUCAAAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgAFNPTlkAQ1lCRVJTSE9
4SYVRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA4BAgAgAAAAhgAAAA8BAgAFAAAApgAAABABAgAKAAAAqwAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAtQAAABsBBQABAAAAvQAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAVAAAAxQAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA2gAAAJUCAAAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgICAgAFNPTlkAQ1lCRVJTSE9 (59.08 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
Member Bcss
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

I don't know that I'd be so brave to grab a scalpel, but it is interesting to see what's inside and how it all works!

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

Just so we don't confuse anyone the solitary thing protruding from the top flower is a stigma (the female bit). The multiple red things protruding from the lower flower are the stamens (the male bits). The bits on the ends of the stamens that carry the pollen are the anthers I believe, although even my dictionary seems a little confused.

Phil in Somerset, UK
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

Wow, so that's what they look like on the inside. I did wonder!

I wonder what my E.obesas are like inside, but I could never think of cutting one up to see. I guess that squeamishness goes away with plenty of grafting?
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.