South African midgets

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
John E
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

South African midgets

Post by John E »

For lovers of small plants with a caudex there are a couple of South African small plants that may be of interest. This is Tylecodon occultans. It is 1cm tall including the caudex.
Attachments
4RVYRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAXAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAowAAABsBBQABAAAAqwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAcAAAAswAAADIBAgAUAAAAzwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA5AAAAMADAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBFT1MgMzUwRCBESUdJVEF
4RVYRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAXAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAowAAABsBBQABAAAAqwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAcAAAAswAAADIBAgAUAAAAzwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA5AAAAMADAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBFT1MgMzUwRCBESUdJVEF (98.54 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
I have been growing C & S since 1968. A lot of my plants were imports in the early 1970s. I am a Crawley branch member sometimes!
John E
Registered Guest

Re: South African midgets

Post by John E »

Another tiny South African plant is Anacampseros scopata. This is also 1cm tall.
Attachments
4Rv8RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAXAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAowAAABsBBQABAAAAqwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAcAAAAswAAADIBAgAUAAAAzwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA5AAAAMADAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBFT1MgMzUwRCBESUdJVEF
4Rv8RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAKAA8BAgAGAAAAhgAAABABAgAXAAAAjAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAowAAABsBBQABAAAAqwAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAcAAAAswAAADIBAgAUAAAAzwAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAA5AAAAMADAABDYW5vbgBDYW5vbiBFT1MgMzUwRCBESUdJVEF (96.05 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
I have been growing C & S since 1968. A lot of my plants were imports in the early 1970s. I am a Crawley branch member sometimes!
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Hi John

Very nice, how old are the plants?, did you grow them from seed ?

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
John E
Registered Guest

Post by John E »

Hi Tina
They were both given to me in 1995 by a friend who went to South Africa on a trip. Neither of them has gained much weight but they both flower each year so I guess they are happy enough.
John
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Wow that?s incredible! I particularly like the first one!

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
igortchern
Registered Guest

Post by igortchern »

Hi John,

It means probably that it's - mini-caudex plants... If they about 1995 years up to 2006 have 1sm in diameter.

Igor
Belgium
penforpen
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by penforpen »

Hi there, John

Let me take it for a trip, I have been looking for the plant for while don't see it around guess its a EU trip ?

Great Photo anyway More Please.

Regards,

Jamie

Berkhamstead Branch Hertfordshire Zone 6 Area
Committee Member & Berkhamstead & Show Secretary
BCSS Number 42673
10x8 Greenhouse, Small Collection of Slow Growing Cacti Along with Succulents and a few weird Caudiciforms plants Much Loved Group of Plants and few Euphobia's Etc.
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

What little tinies! If I ever keep these someday (and I hope I can), I would need new reading glasses. :)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.