labels - metal or plastic

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Jez
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

labels - metal or plastic

Post by Jez »

Probably an old question this..... but I used to (a long time ago) get really nice metal labels of the type in the picture. I think they were Aluminium. Indestructible, and pencil writing stayed unchanged for years unless deliberately rubbed out (the one here was written in 1985). Does anyone know where I can get such things - or could anyone suggest alternative long-lasting solutions. I'm lazy and don't like rewriting too many labels... but don't have so many plants that a label writer seems necessary.

Cheers,

Jez

Attachments
4QeZRXhpZgAATU0AKgAAAAgACAESAAMAAAABAAEAAAEaAAUAAAABAAAAbgEbAAUAAAABAAAAdgEoAAMAAAABAAIAAAExAAIAAAAUAAAAfgEyAAIAAAAUAAAAkgITAAMAAAABAAEAAIdpAAQAAAABAAAAqAAAAPgAAABIAAAAAQAAAEgAAAABQWRvYmUgUGhvdG9zaG9wIDcuMAAyMDA2OjEwOjE4IDA4OjM
4QeZRXhpZgAATU0AKgAAAAgACAESAAMAAAABAAEAAAEaAAUAAAABAAAAbgEbAAUAAAABAAAAdgEoAAMAAAABAAIAAAExAAIAAAAUAAAAfgEyAAIAAAAUAAAAkgITAAMAAAABAAEAAIdpAAQAAAABAAAAqAAAAPgAAABIAAAAAQAAAEgAAAABQWRvYmUgUGhvdG9zaG9wIDcuMAAyMDA2OjEwOjE4IDA4OjM (31.08 KiB) Viewed 2105 times
Jez

NCSS/BCSS member intermittently since c 1978
Forum member from 08/2006
Collection of mostly smaller cacti and succulents (space limited!) including a variety of caudiciforms..... and I've lots to learn about looking after them.
Bill
Branch: None

Re: labels - metal or plastic

Post by Bill »

Hi Jez,

If you do a search on Google for plant labels, plenty of options come up like

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
phil
BCSS Member
Branch: HERNE BAY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by phil »

Hi Jez,
I still use this type of aluminium label and have done so for many years. I prefer them as they fold neatly down the side of the pot and stop the collection looking like a 'graveyard'. You can still get them from Harrod Horticultural.

I also use a digital plant labeller which looks neater than just writing on the labels.

Phil. (Kent, England) BCSS Herne Bay & District Branch.
Collecting Cacti-1961. Forum member-September 2004.
Favourites= Mexican miniatures.
http://www.cactusplant.co.uk
Jez
BCSS Member

Post by Jez »

Bill & Phil,

Many thanks for the tips.... I shall have a look at these links when I get a chance later.

Jez

Jez

Collection of mostly smaller cacti and succulents (space limited!) including a variety of caudiciforms..... and I've lots to learn about looking after them.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

I use plastic until I win the lottery :)

Actually, most of my plants don't have labels in the pot but I have a good database. Must remember to print that out for safe-keeping now that winter is here!

Cheshire, UK
Jez
BCSS Member

Post by Jez »

Hi,

I followed the advice.... and came up with quite a few alternatives. For anyone else interested these ones seemed to be a good size (the A4 option) and a better price than some that I looked at. Yes, they are more expensive than plastic, but they'll last for ever and the writing won't fade.

Jez

(PS - they have a deal on at the moment too, so the prices for Web orders are less)

Jez

iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Nice selection there, although I think copper looks better. Maybe I'll see what turns up for christmas and take it from there ...

Cheshire, UK