cactus from seed  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
George
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

cactus from seed

Post by George »

I have no greenhouse can I still grow cacti from seed could i have some information please Regards George

David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: cactus from seed

Post by David_L »

Hi George

Yes you certainly can but you'll need a heated propagator and a bright windowsill or artificial lights. Seeds need temperatures of 18-25C for good germination and seedlings lots of light, but not direct sunlight to stop them going thin and drawn. I used to have a propagator in the conservatory, but that gets too hot after May, so now I have a couple of propagators in the garage with fluorescent tubes on top. Works well!

David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: cactus from seed  Solved

Post by Roy »

You most certainly can. If you have no means of heating a pot then it would be advisable to wait until the warmer weather comes before you attempt it then you could grow them on a sunny windiwsill. You need a sterile pot and compost and a plastic bag or clingfilm. The compost can be sterilized in the microwave for 10 minutes and left to cool down then sow your seed on the top then put the pot in some boiled water that has cooled. Leave the pot in until the surface of the compost is wet then remove the pot and let it drain for a while then put the pot in the plastic bag or cover the WHOLE LOT in clingfilm. Then put the pot on a warm windowsill and in about 28 days most of the common cacti will germinate, some a lot faster.
Idealy you should add Chinosol to the water but as this is your first attempt I don't think you will want to buy a bottle of that yet. 90% of cacti are easy to grow from seed but of course that means the other 10% may be difficult.
If you have a means of heating and giving extra light seed can be sown at any time of the year but no doubt you will want to try the easy cheap way before you start paying out for equipment.
At about six months old the seedlings will need pricking out then have further pottings on as they grow.
Picking up one of the older books you may see a lot of other methods and they worked to some degree but this is the broad outline of what most people do nowadays
Member Bcss