what to do with these in the winter

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Neil
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

what to do with these in the winter

Post by Neil »

hello all

what is the best way to treat my
rhipsalis pilocarpa over winter

I know they are ephytic and need to be kept wet during the summer
mine has doubled in size this winter and is also due for a repot i think see pic

also i have an air plant,not a cacti i know.but apparently they grow along side cacti in the wild

anyone know how to treat these over winter

mines a tillandansia ioantha see pic

neil

still learning

Post Edited (10-22-06 15:38)
Attachments
2wCEABIODg4QDhUQEBUeExETHiMaFRUaIyIYGBoYGCInHiIhISIeJycuMDMwLic+PkFBPj5BQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUEBFBMTFhkWGxcXGxoWGhYaIRodHRohMSEhJCEhMT4tJycnJy0+ODszMzM7OEFBPj5
2wCEABIODg4QDhUQEBUeExETHiMaFRUaIyIYGBoYGCInHiIhISIeJycuMDMwLic+PkFBPj5BQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUEBFBMTFhkWGxcXGxoWGhYaIRodHRohMSEhJCEhMT4tJycnJy0+ODszMzM7OEFBPj5 (99.19 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
Neil
Registered Guest

my airplant

Post by Neil »

the air plant

overwintering and flowering advice if possible

ta

neil

Post Edited (10-22-06 15:38)
Attachments
2wCEAA0JCQkKCQ0KCg0TDAsMExYQDQ0QFhkUFBYUFBkYExUVFRUTGBgdHiAeHRgmJikpJiY4Nzc3OD4+Pj4+Pj4+Pj4BDgwMDg8OEQ8PERQOEA4UFREREREVHxUVFxUVHyccGBgYGBwnIyUgICAlIysrJyc
2wCEAA0JCQkKCQ0KCg0TDAsMExYQDQ0QFhkUFBYUFBkYExUVFRUTGBgdHiAeHRgmJikpJiY4Nzc3OD4+Pj4+Pj4+Pj4BDgwMDg8OEQ8PERQOEA4UFREREREVHxUVFxUVHyccGBgYGBwnIyUgICAlIysrJyc (95.26 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: what to do with these in the winter

Post by Mike »

Neil

It will still need some water over winter, but not too much if it gets cold (below 10C). Your plant might just be big enough to flower now, so watch out for flower buds, maybe in November/December - well that's when mine flowered!

Mike

Based in Wiltshire and growing a mix of cacti and succulents.
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Roy »

Hi Neil,
just for interest here's some Tillansias growing in habitat in Northern Argentina. They were flowering and it was the end of November. You find them on rocks, trees and bushes, cacti and in some areas they are a real maintenance problem because they grow very thickly on telephone lines
Attachments
xAGiAAABBQEBAQEBAQAAAAA
xAGiAAABBQEBAQEBAQAAAAA (93.15 KiB) Viewed 2136 times
Member Bcss
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

Hi Neil,

I grow some Tillandsias hanging from a wire in the top apex of my greenhouse, spraying about twice daily in summer to about twice weekly in winter. I have rotted T. ionantha in the past! I would get it out of that pot because:

1) Obviously it does not have roots for anything other than anchorage
2) Any compost will retain moisture and rot the base
3) It need to mounted at an angle so that any water dripping down does not find the stem i.e mount at 60 degrees plus.

I use nylon fishing line to tie plants to a piece of wood, never vertically upwards. You could balance it at an angle on top of an empty pot.

Good luck,
Derek Tribble,
London, UK
Neil
Registered Guest

Post by Neil »

thanks everyone for all the information

neil