Rainsticks

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Rainsticks

Post by Phil Hocking »

I was browsing for something else and came across a list of CITES customs seizures for 2001. In this are listed 30 or more rainsticks (Eulychnia species). According to another website 'This South American instrument is made of wood skeletons of cactus plants from the Acatamadesert (sic)'. Apparently you can buy one for ?30 in the UK so I'm wondering if they are banned or not. Also, are people chopping down living plants and drying them if there are not enough dead ones to satisfy demand?

Phil in Somerset, UK
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Rainsticks

Post by Roy »

Make no mistake the majority of people who live in cactus area's in South America regard them as a nuisance weed. Cacti vasular bundles are often used for light construction or decoritive purposes. Trichocereus pasacanas are used to make tourist curios, this bowl is typical of the sort of things they make. It is not uncommon to see pasacanas being towed away behind a donkey, legal or not .
Attachments
4S7xRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgAgAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAYAAAAsgAAABABAgARAAAAygAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAA2wAAABsBBQABAAAA4wAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAgAAAA6wAAADIBAgAVAAAACwEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAIAEAACoMAABPTFlNUFVTIERJR0lUQUwgQ0FNRVJBICAgICAgICAgAE9
4S7xRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgAgAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAYAAAAsgAAABABAgARAAAAygAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAA2wAAABsBBQABAAAA4wAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAgAAAA6wAAADIBAgAVAAAACwEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAIAEAACoMAABPTFlNUFVTIERJR0lUQUwgQ0FNRVJBICAgICAgICAgAE9 (66.21 KiB) Viewed 1429 times
Member Bcss
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Rainsticks, including those from Eulychnia acida but not other Eulychnia species, have an exemption allowing personal imports of up to three rainsticks per person without CITES permits. Larger imports without CITES certification are illegal and subject to seizure. Posession and trade of rainsticks within the EU is legal.

Cheshire, UK
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Roy »

Just as ps when my friend went to Chile he reported that there was hundreds upon hundreds of dead Eulycnias in the north, nothing to do with man, just natural cycles.
Member Bcss
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

That'a a bit worrying. I have one, and I also bought one for a friend. They were both a fiver or less, if I recall.

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Having been involved in the sort of business where I came across these items, most of those generaly on sale in the UK are made from Bamboo, so I think you can sleep easily Julie.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.