Cultivar

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Vic
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Cultivar

Post by Vic »

Hi all,

Here's the latest issue of Cultivar, some interesting stuff including Digitomyrtillocactus!!:

Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: WILTSHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Cultivar

Post by Mike »

Thanks for the link Vic - there's some odd and interesting stuff there!

Mike

Based in Wiltshire and growing a mix of cacti and succulents.
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

Thanks for the link, Vic. Now I want to start stamp collecting!

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Can you lick this one?

Post by MikeT »

Julie

How about starting with a South African stamp?

Mike T
Sheffield branch

Post Edited (11-02-06 19:31)
Attachments
gECIAAAADhmGwGgZhsBcGcbAQAAAABAAgAAXCRbGwAAAAAAAAAAMBVbGwAAAABXAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAAgAAeCRbGwAAAAAAAAAAMBVbGwAAAABYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABABgAAlCRbGwAAAAAAAAAAMBVbGwAAAABZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABABgA
gECIAAAADhmGwGgZhsBcGcbAQAAAABAAgAAXCRbGwAAAAAAAAAAMBVbGwAAAABXAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAAgAAeCRbGwAAAAAAAAAAMBVbGwAAAABYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABABgAAlCRbGwAAAAAAAAAAMBVbGwAAAABZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABABgA (16.91 KiB) Viewed 3013 times
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Oh!!! I looked for a EO stamp, but did not see one.

Well spotted, that man!

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Aloenut
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Re: Can you lick this one?

Post by Aloenut »

There was a series of stamps issued by the SA Post Office that depicted succulents on them.

If memory serves me correct they were in circulation around 1990.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

I took a trip to the local stamp shop today and came away with a small collection of the Republic of South Africa stamps. This is almost the full set - apparently there is one missing but I'm not sure which one. I shall have to track that one down now.

These are the plants in order from 1C to 5R

Huernia zebrina
Euphorbia symmetrica
Lithops dorotheae
Didymaotus lapidiformis
Vanheerdea divergens
Faucaria tigrina
Conophytum mundum
Gasteria armstrongii
Cheiridopsis peculiaris
Tavaresia barklyi
Dinteranthus wilmotianus
Frithia pulchra
Lapidaria magaretae
Dioscorea elephantipes
Trichocaulon cactiforme
Crassula columnaris
Anacampseros albissima

All by Hein Botha, 1988

Phil in Somerset
Attachments
4R14RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAKAAAAkgAAABABAgAIAAAAnAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAApAAAABsBBQABAAAArAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAIAAAAtAAAADIBAgAUAAAAvAAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAoAEAAKXEBwDQAAAA0AAAAPgFAABQYW5hc29uaWMARE1DLUZYNQBIAAAAAQAAAEgAAAABAAA
4R14RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAKAAAAkgAAABABAgAIAAAAnAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAApAAAABsBBQABAAAArAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAIAAAAtAAAADIBAgAUAAAAvAAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAoAEAAKXEBwDQAAAA0AAAAPgFAABQYW5hc29uaWMARE1DLUZYNQBIAAAAAQAAAEgAAAABAAA (74.37 KiB) Viewed 3013 times
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

Seems it is the 7 cent one I need. I can only find a very small image of it so I am not sure what plant it is. One of the window plants anyway.

Phil
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

I don't have the 1C or 21C stamps, but do have the others you show. (I don't have a 7C stamp either.) There is also a Stapelia grandiflora stamp without a monetary value, this is dated 1992; the 5 Rand stamp is 1990 & the others 1988.
Attachments
gECIAAAADhmGwGgZhsBcGcbAQAAAABAAgAAXCRbGwAAAAAAAAAAMBVbGwAAAABXAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAAgAAeCRbGwAAAAAAAAAAMBVbGwAAAABYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABABgAAlCRbGwAAAAAAAAAAMBVbGwAAAABZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABABgA
gECIAAAADhmGwGgZhsBcGcbAQAAAABAAgAAXCRbGwAAAAAAAAAAMBVbGwAAAABXAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAAgAAeCRbGwAAAAAAAAAAMBVbGwAAAABYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABABgAAlCRbGwAAAAAAAAAAMBVbGwAAAABZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABABgA (29.3 KiB) Viewed 3013 times
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Beautiful! Not only the symmetrica but Lithops and Pseudolithos too.

I need to start stamp collecting! :) A hobby that does not take up much space. :)