Sooty mould around areoles

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Roy
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Sooty mould around areoles

Post by Roy »

Hi all,
no matter how well you ventilate, on some cacti that produce secretions, for instance ferros, black mould develops. How do you get rid of it? Pressure hoses can work on tough hard specimens if used with care but are a no no on anything remotely tender. Brushes (electric tooth brushes)
I find are difficult to get in to the spines. What do you do?
Member Bcss
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Re: Sooty mould around areoles

Post by Tina »

Hi Roy

I have been trying out 70% alcohol on a small paint brush, in theory it should kill the spores.
the other option would be spraying it I suppose & some sprayers have a jet option and a wide dispursement option

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
CactusChris
BCSS Member

Post by CactusChris »

Hi Roy,
I've almost give up growing these plants - the sooty mould is almost impossible to remove without as you indicate extreme measures. As long as the sugary secretions occur the mould will grow. Fungicides will work but.....who wants to be spraying chemicals all the time? Natures answer is to remove the sugar - ants will harvest it no problem, but not usually here.

So I have no answer - this was all just to let you know you are not alone... ;-))

Best regards

Chris

BCSS Mid-Cheshire Branch, England - All photos copyright of C.Hynes
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by David_L »

Hi Roy

Yes it's a difficult problem. Thinks that do or are alleged to help include:
1. Yes --ventilation--- cool still humid conditions make it worse
2. Frequent spraying with soft (rain) water to wash off the sugary secretions as they are formed.
3. Cleaning with a brush and a small amount of soft soap dissolved in rain water
4. Prophylactic spraying with mycobutanil (used to treat black spot on roses). Be aware that though this works to kill the fungus/yeasts that cause the soot it won't remove existing sooty marks and can leave a visible deposit on the plant.

David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Try spraying with water & washing up liquid, leave for several minutes to soak, then spray with clean water to rinse. On some plants gentle cleaning with a toothbrush may be needed as well, if you can get at it. I haven't tried this technique on sooty mould (must get round to trying it in the spring), but it worked well some years ago after a problem with the paraffin heater produced loads of oily soot one night. The following spring I tried this, it did the job, and various white spined & white hairy plants cleaned up really well (better than they'd been before the soot episode). I now don't heat the greenhouse, so that avoids a repeat episode of heater problems (& cheaper).

Mike T
Sheffield branch member
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I place prone plants in a location where they are accessible to ants and will get rained on during the summer. That keeps them pretty clean and if they're not tough enough to handle the conditions then I'm too lazy to keep them :)

Cheshire, UK
Roy
BCSS Member

Post by Roy »

Well thanks for all the suggestions even though one reply started to give me flashbacks! Yes Mike the soot filled greenhouse happened to me once, not an experience I would like to repeat
Member Bcss
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by David_L »

Hi Roy

This bugbear has appeared on a Glandulicactus (sclerocactus) uncinatus and Thelocactus bicolor in this last cold, greenhouse closed up, not good ventilation week. I'm seriously considering a leanto open on one side to the elements for these supposedly cold tolerant types. Meanwhile -- constant vigilance!

David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Roy
BCSS Member

Post by Roy »

My friend digs out the gland to stop the secretions but thats on large plants it's much more difficult on the average sized plants
Member Bcss