Online library of digital books

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Julie
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Online library of digital books

Post by Julie »

Aaah yes, my mother found this as she has her own business. I think she paid about ?30 a month for her broadband (which she needed), but at home we have BT and it's about ?18 a month I think. And it's unlimited so I don't get in trouble for listening to too much internet radio.

If I get a job with internet access, then I would not bother to sign up for it at home when I have my own place again. Although I'd miss internet chat like anything. But you can't grumble at internet access you don't pay for! :)

And the moral of the story is to go to Uni when you are young enough to still scrounge from your parents. But that's another story.

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Lol Julie! I did the opposite & left home at 16! A few live in jobs & rented pads later, I finally managed to get enough savings together to go for a mortgage & buy a house! Mind you, it also involved a move from Kent to Shropshire where my parents had moved to 8 years before and where I could actually get a house (as opposed to a bedsit for the same price down south!) I am very lucky to have internet access at work, but will be pleased when we do upgrade to broadband!! :-)

Post Edited (11-03-06 21:20)
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Anthony1
Registered Guest

Post by Anthony1 »

I agree with Geoff,particularly insofar as it gives lots more people the opportunity to access the many excellent publications that would otherwise be denied them,not least availability and prohibitive costs of many publications.

Regards

Anthony Morris
A.J.
yann
Registered Guest
Branch: CHELMSFORD

Post by yann »

Hello all,

I did not think it would go so fast: German is now available, and a book has been added (Lobivia from Rausch).

Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

All those other threads about old books made me think about the possibility of the BCSS (or NCSS & CSSGB) contributing to the library. I realise that the society still makes money from selling journals and Bradleya from the early 1980s onwards. What about out-of-print books and journals? Would individual authors need to give their authorisation for journal articles?
There can't be many groups of plants about which so much has been written. Yes, some of it can only be of historical interest but you only have to look at the Lobivia monographs currently online to appreciate that more modern (2nd half of 20th century) works are invaluable even if they're not hot off the press. Surely there must be some titles?
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

Good idea! People could donate old books like they do with excess seed. And know that they will end up in the hands of someone who will make good use of it... like the seed.

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.