hosting of pictures

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

hosting of pictures

Post by Tina »

Hello all

Just a little note about hosting of pictures.

It has been brought to my notice about the way some members seem to be pushing the idea of hosting pics offsite and linking to them rather than re-sizing them and posting them direct.

Perhaps everyone isn't aware that this can cause problems for people on dial up & also for archive problems.

You may be unaware that the forum threads are kept for over a yr or until Tony has to delete some to release more space on the server so if the images are lost because an account has expired or you delete the pictures or move them this affects the site as a useful knowledge resource & obviously lessens the value .

Where possible could you embed pictures and not link, I know there are some people like Suleyman who have extensive files on a site but he has used this site for a long time & I doubt if he will be likely to move the host company .

This isn't a nag but a mention so you are aware of the reasoning & preferences
best wishes

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Süleyman
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: hosting of pictures

Post by Süleyman »

Hi Tina,
Thanks. I'm permanent in my sites. If I could, I'll move the hosts but they are so rich (lol). In Webshots, there are over 200 million pictures.
Meanwhile, there is a strong inclination in the forums that using links than direct pictures. Cause, the used space is very little in this event. And, the people can watch much more higher quality of photos also.
Regards