Seeds for Spring??

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Maria J
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Re: Seeds for Spring??

Post by Maria J »

Here's the E. Grusonii!

Attachments
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE
8QAHwAAAQUBAQEBAQE (66.34 KiB) Viewed 1481 times
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

He's a beauty! And definitely a three tea towel job. :)

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by David_L »

Hi Phil

I'm impressed!! I must say though I count myself a reasonably experienced seed raiser I've had no luck at keeping Aztekium seedlings --- over growth of moss or alternatively dehydration usually gets them . I'd be glad of any tips from the master!

David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by David_L »

Hi Maria

Advice for getting seedlings through their first winter especially if they're still quite small. Don't let them get too cold. Don't let them get too dry. I've seen whole trays of beautiful seedlings dessicated to death in Winter in people's greenhouses. They simply don't have the resources to cope with prolonged drought. Give them some water if they look as though they are shrinking or suffering at all. Give them plenty of light, but not direct sun and try to keep them 10C or above , but not right by a radiator if they are indoors.
As for repotting seedlings, don't do it before you need to. Once they are big enough I'm a finger and thumb man myself but a pair of wide mouth tweezers or forceps can be useful.

David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Thanks very much David!

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!