A little taste of Botanicactus, Mallorca

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

A little taste of Botanicactus, Mallorca

Post by Bill »

Just got back from Mallorca, so here's a little taste of what I saw at Botanicactus, I have got about 60-70 pics to go sort through and process before I post them. It was certainly spectacular, but not perfect.

Attachments
8A
8A (99.58 KiB) Viewed 1679 times

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: A little taste of Botanicactus, Mallorca

Post by Cactus Jack »

Nice photo Bill, hope you had a good time away, more of the same please...

Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Roy »

Yes please!
Member Bcss
Aloenut
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aloenut »

Bill,

I am going there in December. Looking forward to it.

I believe there is a very good nursery on the island too. Did you get there?
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Well lads I am afraid you'll have to wait a day or two, spent the day catching up on plant related bits and pieces and got a firework display to do tommorrpw night in the village.

Aloenut, it's well worth a visit, just to see cacti and succulents growing outdoors and to such sizes, unfortunately the impression you get is a lot of money was spent setting it up (it's privately owned) and they have not had enough visitors to pay for the upkeep, it only opened in 1989. You'll also see lots of Agave americana (both the green and variegated), Opuntia and Aloes growing not just in gardens but as escapees by roadsides etc. There is another gardens in the north at Soller but can't speak for that as a week was not long enough. Don't go to the monastry at Luc just for the gardens whatever your interests it's not worth it. Did not find any nurseries open to the public, tried a few garden centres but they had nothing special. Annoyingly looking on Ebay last night I found a seller of cacti and succulents who is based in a town we visited. But all in all we had a great time visiting places very much off the beaten track, we don't do sun, sea and sangria LOL

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.