Keith Mortimer Books

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Colin Walker
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Keith Mortimer Books

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Folks,

Sorry you've not heard from me for ages. However, the thread You like books has spurred me into action.

Trying to put a positive spin on the sale of Keith Mortimer's library by Maggs Books, this catalogue offering is a great opportunity to buy rare books and journals.

I'm happy to provide advice on specific titles in the catalogue, if anyone's interested. I can't comment on the condition, etc. of a given book, but could tell you how useful, interesting or otherwise I think the book is.

I could also comment on the pricing and value. As pointed out in the other thread, pricing is shall we say erratic. Some books that are available in the cactus community seem over-priced, whereas others are fairly priced. It seems to me that Maggs' pricing is based on info they've gleaned from the net - library catalogues, auction lists, etc.

If you want to email me privately that'd be fine.

Keith was chairman of the NCSS then BCSS for over 20 years and I for one would like to think that his books mainly go to society members.

Just trying to help fellow avid book collectors.

Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Re: Keith Mortimer Books

Post by iann »

Thanks Colin. I'm going to have a more thorough read when I get time, but unfortunately the couple of items I spotted so far have been priced "erratically" to the high side! A first edition for twice the price of the current edition might work for a book collector but not for me :)

Cheshire, UK
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

It is but I didn't find anything on their site about this catalogue.

Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

I did meet Prof Keith Mortimer years ago near the Charing Cross Road one lunchtime - we were both visiting the bookshops and had a short chat about bargains. All things come around in circles and now his books are on sale again in the West End, London.

I agree Colin that most of the books and particularly the journals have been priced on the high side. There are a few bargains though, perhaps a reflection of modern times. 307 Index Kewensis is massively useful and a give-away for ?30, but now available online, so I suppose nobody wants to store so much timber. 607 WD&S Stapeliae appears to have come down a lot in price now that Peter Bruyns' SA Stapeliads is published. I would like to know who buys items 160 & 447? Anybody bought anything yet?

Colin, is it possible to negotiate with these book sellers? Is there a procedure to offer say 75% if an item has not been sold from the catalogue after 3 months or whatever? There are many items I would be happy to give a home to, but would not pay that much for.

Happy reading,
Derek Tribble,
London, UK
fritz

Post by fritz »

merci for the keith mortimers book catalogue. keith and wife make a (caffee)stop in our house 10/15 years ago. was in the botanical garden in heidelberg (werner rauh).

merci fritz
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Derek,

I first bought books from Maggs in 1997-8 when they were selling the smaller items from the botanical library of Robert de Belder via two catalogues. In the second one they offered a 20% discount on unsold items from the first. So they may well offer a discount on Keith's books at some future date.

Some book dealers also offer trade discounts, but with a time lag after a catalogue has been distributed.

Yes, I've placed my order. My main item is 386 Marloth The flora of South Africa. This has 180 excellent colour plates, but of course not all of these deal with succulents. The price on this is good compared to copies available elsewhere via the web.

Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Lindsey,

This erratic mailing certainly seems bad, especially so if it applies to the journal too.

I use my work address for most of my journals, etc. When we used to have a journal sent home as well my work copy usually arrived before that at home.

Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Derek,

Forgot to say that Keith also bought from the de Belder sale via Maggs. For instance, his item 401 Miquel Monographia generis Melocacti came from there. In 1997 Maggs sold it for ?325 and are now offering it for ?675.

Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS