Keith Mortimer Books

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Colin Walker
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Keith Mortimer Books

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Derek,

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Maggs.

The Annals of the Bolus Herbarium was indeed a good buy. As you say, this includes quite a lot on succulents. Have you noticed yet that the genus Pagella (now included in Crassula) and what is now Poellnitzia rubriflora are both described and illustrated for the first time in this work? If I recall correctly, the colour plates are unfortunately mainly orchids.

I agree with you re. item 107 the original Burchell "Travels". Like you I paid about that price for the 1953 reprint. This is famous 'cos it includes the first description of a Lithops.

Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

Dear Colin,

Another bibliographic question, this time about the unusual German serial publication "Kakteen" by Krainz. It was issued in parts over many years, which one was meant to sort in ring binders into systematic order (like the UK Lamb's Plates). A friend who bought the Mortimer set is asking how you can tell if a set is complete? Did Urs Eggli produce an index?

I noticed the bizarre Pagella, but haven't seen Poellnitzia yet. Still reading ...

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble,
London, UK
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Maybe don't tell your friend but....
.... it's available online here. You could compare.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Derek,

The Krainz "Die Kakteen" was issued in 63 parts (Lieferung).

It seems from the catalogue that Keith's set has been organised systematically, so it will be time consuming to check its completeness. Whatever, at ?25 your friend has a bargain. This usually sells for ?200-300 when complete.

Yes, Urs Eggli did issue an index. That may be part of the online version.

Someone has gone to a lot of trouble to scan the 2,000 odd pages!

The description of Apicra rubriflora is in:
Ann. Bol. Herb., 3(1): 13-14, plate IId, 1920.

The plate is unfortunately uncoloured.

Post Edited (11-15-06 09:53)
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Colin Walker

Re: Krainz Die kakteen

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi,

I've had a quick look at the online version. This is indeed arranged alphabetically. There's an "index" in the introductory section.

I had my set bound as issued, i.e. Lieferungen 1-63. With hindsight this may have been a mistake!!

This is a very important work with lots of new descriptions, e.g. the genus Buiningia.

Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Member of the IOS
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

Thanks folks! I'd already forgotten about that online copy, mainly because my dial-up link can't cope reasonably with files that big!

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
David_K
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Post by David_K »

ALL journals leave the mailing house to Royal Mail over 1 or 2 days and most Journals are received within a week of mailing. What happened with Mortimers Books is inexplicable. The mailing was complete from the mailing house and into Royal Mail's hands by October 31st. The items were sorted at the mailing house into mailing regions and by postcode in the same way as the Journal. I know of members near me with similar postcodes who had received their copies by Friday Nov. 3rd. but my own copy did not arrive until Wednesday 15th by which time most of interest had already been sold. This delay was totally down to Royal Mail and I can get no reasonable explanation from them. The Mailing of Mortimer's used a slightly lower priority service (we did not arrange and wern't paying for it) than the Journal but that is no excuse for such delays.

David Kirkbright
Society Treasurer
David Kirkbright
Society Treasurer & Trustee,
Northants and MK Branch
Long time grower (not always well) of almost anything.
Visitors welcome but check first.