Mallorca - Pics Now Online

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Mallorca - Pics Now Online

Post by Bill »

After nearly having a disastor with a corrupt drive, I have managed to rescue most of the pictures and they are now online at:

The gardens are Botanicactus are almost overwhelming and certainly need visiting with people with a simular interest, my family were distinctly underwhelmed and consequentialy I didn't spend as much time there as I would have liked. :-(

In many places throughout the Island Agaves, Opuntia and Aloes have gone native.

Fell free to ask any questions and post any id's, haven't had time to do that yet.

Post Edited (11-17-06 00:17)

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Dirk Everaerd
Registered Guest

Re: Mallorca - Pics Now Online

Post by Dirk Everaerd »

Verry nice pictures!
Bill

Post by Bill »

Thanks Dirk

I should have said for those who don 't know, Mallorca is a small mediteranean island just of the coast of Spain, It's a very popular holiday destination for Europeans, consequentialy some areas are grossly overdeveloped, but once you move away from those hotspots, a beautiful and rugged landscape can be found in the north and south. The central region is mainly agricultural, but not the large scale operations we see in this country, lots of small fields, (olives, almonds and orange groves etc), many with thier own wells or windmills. I think there are more windmills (I think they're water pumps actually) in Mallorca than Holland or Britian.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Roy »

"my familly were distinctly underwhelmed". Know the feeling Bill:-) Nice photo's
Member Bcss
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

There are some monstrous plants there!

P.S. Just seen your family. They don't appear to be inspecting all the succulents?

Post Edited (11-17-06 13:18)
Cheshire, UK
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Cactus Jack »

Great photos Bill, thanks for sharing them. Some fantastic plants i would love to see the Grusonii in shot 62 in years to come! 8-))

Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
Aloenut
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Re: Mallorca - Nursery

Post by Aloenut »

Bill,

Did you get to a cactus/succulent nursery called 'Cactus Toni Moreno'? They have a website if you do a search, but I don't think they are well known.

Aloenut
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Great photos Bill! It looks really interesting.

At least you can get there on a relatively low budget (last minute bargain type package) then do your own thing!! Hmmm, might look at going next year then if I can! :-D

Post Edited (11-17-06 15:41)
Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Wow, great photos! I can imagine walking around there for hours going "ooooh!" and my parents trying to sniff out a tea room, as though it were infinitely less dull to sit in a tea room looking at a static landscape of people guzzling tea than walk through a vista of incredible plants you'd never see in the same place anywhere else.

The cactus clump in photo 14 must be huge, when you look at the size of the name tag. I bet the parent is about 50cm in diameter!

Photo 23 looks like a horizon of skyscrapers. :)

Photo 37 - Do I spot some towering Agave flowers?

Photo 62 - wow, what a beautiful plant. Looks huge too!

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Hi Bill nice pics and looks a nice place to go.
does anyone know what the plant is in photo botanicactus 36

Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/