Epiphytic cacti

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Vicky
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Epiphytic cacti

Post by Vicky »

Quick question to save me looking through too many books. Which of the epiphytic cacti flower during the summer?

Vicky Davies
C & V Cacti
www.cvcacti.co.uk
Rose Green, West Sussex
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Epiphytic cacti

Post by Phil_SK »

Don't most of them (apart from Schlumbergera and some Hatiora [Rhipsalidopsis])?

Post Edited (11-17-06 18:24)
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Vicky
BCSS Member

Post by Vicky »

Now I have a little more time, I shall explain why I'm asking. Since finishing my course at Kew Garden, I've taken on the role of trainee manager for a wholesale nursery in West Sussex. We grow a range of succulents for garden centres. We're currently looking to expand the range and epiphytic cacti have been suggested. There are numerous suppliers of Schlumbergera and therefore we're looking for something different that flowers late summer. I feel cheeky for asking a work related question but any suggestions would be extremely welcome.

Vicky Davies
C & V Cacti
www.cvcacti.co.uk
Rose Green, West Sussex
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

That sounds like a good fun job, Vicky! I would not mind working in a garden centre but as I don't drive and they are all off the bus routes.. I'm limited to our local Focus.. I have not applied for a job there. :)

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

Hmmm, late summer's a bit trickier - the bulk of the Epiphyllum hybrids (the most obvious choice) flower in June, give or take a few weeks. There might be an issue how big the plants need to be to flower; Schumbergeras are popular in the trade, I suspect, partly bacause small plants flower whereas with the xEpis cuttings don't tend to flower in the first few years. Being such ungainly plants once the cuttings begin to grow doesn't work in their favour.
Somebody sells a range if Rhipsalis, more for the growth pattern than the flowers. Don't imagine they sell many though.
Aporocactus baskets might be worth investigating.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member
Branch: CRAWLEY

Post by Geoff Lovell »

What nursery Vicky???

Founder member BCSS # 32426,
Growing Cacti and Succulents for over 40 years,
mixed collection but prefer succulents particularly caudiciforms.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

Hi Vicky

Some of my epiphytes don't know when to flower or even what colour to be. I have one that produced pure white flowers in late June (shown here) and is currently producing distinctly pink flowers in Mid November (see next posting)

Phil in Somerset, UK
Attachments
4Re2RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAKAAAAkgAAABABAgAIAAAAnAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAApAAAABsBBQABAAAArAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAIAAAAtAAAADIBAgAUAAAAvAAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAoAEAAKXEBwDQAAAA0AAAAPgFAABQYW5hc29uaWMARE1DLUZYNQBIAAAAAQAAAEgAAAABAAA
4Re2RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAKAAAAkgAAABABAgAIAAAAnAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAApAAAABsBBQABAAAArAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAIAAAAtAAAADIBAgAUAAAAvAAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAoAEAAKXEBwDQAAAA0AAAAPgFAABQYW5hc29uaWMARE1DLUZYNQBIAAAAAQAAAEgAAAABAAA (48.42 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

This is my 'Easter cactus' flowering in November with a different colour
Attachments
4RqdRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAKAAAAkgAAABABAgAIAAAAnAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAApAAAABsBBQABAAAArAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAIAAAAtAAAADIBAgAUAAAAvAAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAoAEAAKXEBwDQAAAA0AAAAPgFAABQYW5hc29uaWMARE1DLUZYNQBIAAAAAQAAAEgAAAABAAA
4RqdRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAKAAAAkgAAABABAgAIAAAAnAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAApAAAABsBBQABAAAArAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAIAAAAtAAAADIBAgAUAAAAvAAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAoAEAAKXEBwDQAAAA0AAAAPgFAABQYW5hc29uaWMARE1DLUZYNQBIAAAAAQAAAEgAAAABAAA (47.8 KiB) Viewed 3020 times
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

I've read somewhere that yellow and white Schlumbergera hybrids need quite a bit of warmth to avoid turning pink. That would fit with your white summer bloom.
Vicky
BCSS Member

Post by Vicky »

Binsted which is part of the Farplants group

Vicky Davies
C & V Cacti
www.cvcacti.co.uk
Rose Green, West Sussex