Pereskia fruit

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Pereskia fruit

Post by Phil Hocking »

I believe some Opuntias will grow from a seed pod. If I plant this Pereskia fruit will a new plant grow from it? Not that I need any more!

Phil in Somerset, UK
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member

Re: Pereskia fruit

Post by Phil Hocking »

Oops - it helps to post the picture
Attachments
4Ro0RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAKAAAAkgAAABABAgAIAAAAnAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAApAAAABsBBQABAAAArAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAIAAAAtAAAADIBAgAUAAAAvAAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAoAEAAKXEBwDQAAAA0AAAAPgFAABQYW5hc29uaWMARE1DLUZYNQBIAAAAAQAAAEgAAAABAAA
4Ro0RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAKAAAAkgAAABABAgAIAAAAnAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAApAAAABsBBQABAAAArAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAIAAAAtAAAADIBAgAUAAAAvAAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAoAEAAKXEBwDQAAAA0AAAAPgFAABQYW5hc29uaWMARE1DLUZYNQBIAAAAAQAAAEgAAAABAAA (65.36 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

It's a funny looking fruit Phil. Can't help with your query though.
I would say, as you're not too worried about getting more or not, give it a go! ;-)

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

I also have no idea Phil, but I'd certainly try it - those little leaves look like they are more than just remants from the flower stalk.

Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Doesn't look ripe. There will be seed inside a ripe fruit. The seed are large, not much chance of missing any, but there won't be many in one fruit.

Cheshire, UK
rpw53
Registered Guest

Post by rpw53 »

Phil,
Judging from the leaves and associated axillary buds, I would bet that it would grow new plants if planted....
Peyton

Phil Hocking
BCSS Member

Post by Phil Hocking »

OK, here it is potted into Tesco cat litter. The fruit is unripe and fell off a few days ago, suggesting that there might not be any seeds inside. I have sown seeds before with varying degrees of success. I have one surviving seedling, so it will be interesting to see what comes from this.

Phil in Somerset, UK
Attachments
4SC7RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAKAAAAkgAAABABAgAIAAAAnAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAApAAAABsBBQABAAAArAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAIAAAAtAAAADIBAgAUAAAAvAAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAoAEAAKXEBwDQAAAA0AAAAPgFAABQYW5hc29uaWMARE1DLUZYNQBIAAAAAQAAAEgAAAABAAA
4SC7RXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA8BAgAKAAAAkgAAABABAgAIAAAAnAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAApAAAABsBBQABAAAArAAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAIAAAAtAAAADIBAgAUAAAAvAAAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAoAEAAKXEBwDQAAAA0AAAAPgFAABQYW5hc29uaWMARE1DLUZYNQBIAAAAAQAAAEgAAAABAAA (68.47 KiB) Viewed 2094 times