Cacti and Tropical fish

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AntonyC
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Cacti and Tropical fish

Post by AntonyC »

Too true Ian,
Have kept both for many years! Also i have kept birds,snakes,lizards,spiders,dogs ginea pigs etc etc.
Welcome to the forum Stephen
Ant

Post Edited (11-19-06 22:26)
Growing anything I can keep alive :-)
Birmingham branch member
John E
Registered Guest

Post by John E »

I have a 6ft by 2ft tropical fish tank and every winter I germinate all my seed using the heat in the tank. Usually between 30 and 50 2inch square pots can be found on a sheet of plastic placed on the glass plates that run the whole length of the tank. Germination is usually pretty good and after a couple of weeks I remove them to the propagator in the greenhouse where temperatures and humidity are quite a bit lower.
John E
I have been growing C & S since 1968. A lot of my plants were imports in the early 1970s. I am a Crawley branch member sometimes!
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

Hello I keep a 6x2x2.5 tank with silver dollars and plecos(very spiny). This site is very good for catfish
Acid John
matchat
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by matchat »

How odd that this connection should arise eh?

I've not previously had tropical fish, only fancy goldfish e.t.c. The best has to have been a Weather Loach named Lurch, I think he grew to be around 6 inches long and was by far the most ravenous fish I've come across.

Other unusual pets include the common Indian stick insect (beloved of my mother!) and Giant African Landsnails (nice if somewhat quick to breed).

Trevor
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Trevor »

Yep, sounds like a pretty good theory !

I have a 6' marine tank, a 4' freshwater tank and another tiny salt water tank with a Mantis shrimp in it - he got evicted from the big tank and was too pretty to..... errrr.... "dispose of" ;-)

Between them, the seed propagating and greenhouse heat - well, lets just say you probably don't want my power bills.... :-(

Trevor
With a 'Downunder' collection of Cacti and Succulents in Melbourne, Australia.
NickT
Registered Guest

Post by NickT »

I used to have tropicals as well, mainly Cichlids - Discus & rift valley nothing like diversity !

Nick T
Warwickshire

A lot of all sorts
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hello trevor an all

Know what you mean about the bills , my lizards want there vivs at 95 -100 degrees thats for 3 viv's plus the nursery tank when we have babies & I also forgot the snake in the count up, with the larger greenhouse I just pay all bills monthly & try not to dwell on them :~).

I'm sure it probably means we are 'home bodies with a bad collecting habit'

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Tina, and a nurturing side too maybe?

---------------

Weather loaches are soooo sweet! My friend had one called Limmo. He ate special "Limmo pellets" which I could feed him by hand, with my whole hand in the water.

He would snuffle all around my hand with his catfishy whiskers, and find the pellet. Then eat it and sort of swim backwards coughing pellet out of his gills. He was not scared of my hand at all, and would swim through a tunnel made with curled fingers.. and I'd feel the little muscles against my hand. Strong little fish.

Poor Limmo died of old age, but he had a long life for a weather loach, about 3 years.

Post Edited (11-20-06 17:48)
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
matchat
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by matchat »

Cant recall how long I had my loach for (quite a while I think), his favourite trick was to jump out of the tank through the holes where wires e.t.c. entered the tank lid. I found him on the carpet a few times but he never seemed any the worse for his ordeal.

Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Hehe! The same friend had a few other kind of loach which I called Suckies, they were like catfish with mouths underneath, and would eat the algae leaving patterns like those snails did on the greenhouse whitener.

One large sucky decided to also chew the scales off other fish, so he got relegated to the old vacant tank, which was cold green soup. They got up in the morning worrying if he was OK in the cold. There was not one spot of green on the whole tank... he had guzzled from dusk til dawn!

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.