First ever flower - this late!!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Chris43
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

First ever flower - this late!!

Post by Chris43 »

I wandered into the greenhouse this afternoon, really to check on the temperatures and make sure none of the seedlinsg I still have in the warm area had dried out.

And I was so surprised to see that one of my Mammillarias was in flower, and this is the first time that this plant has ever flowered for me. As it comes from southern Mexico, I have no idea what it thinks the season is here. I have some others, like M. plumosa and hernandezii, but this is their time to flower. Maybe this is an autumn or winrter flowerer, anyone know?

Anyway, here is my out of season Mammillaria sartorii, according to my records propagated from plants which were Felix Oteroi collected, though it doesn't have an FO number.

Attachments
bAIQAEQ0NDQ4NEg4OEhoRDxEaHxcSEhcfIhcXFxcXIiMbHh0dHhsjIykqLSopIzY2Ozs2NkFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQQE
bAIQAEQ0NDQ4NEg4OEhoRDxEaHxcSEhcfIhcXFxcXIiMbHh0dHhsjIykqLSopIzY2Ozs2NkFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQUFBQQE (71.43 KiB) Viewed 1092 times
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: First ever flower - this late!!

Post by Cactus Jack »

Hi Chris i was down at my dad's g'house today and there was an Ephillium in full flower and another hanging plant . I think the plants are totally confused 8-))

Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: First ever flower - this late!!

Post by Roy »

I also had a suprise, this Oreocereus hempelianus had flowered quite prolifically, normally if is reluctant to flower for me. (Arequipa rettigii when I bought it.)
Attachments
4S1xRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgAgAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAYAAAAsgAAABABAgARAAAAygAAABIBAwABAAAABgAAABoBBQABAAAA2wAAABsBBQABAAAA4wAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAgAAAA6wAAADIBAgAVAAAACwEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAIAEAAPsLAABPTFlNUFVTIERJR0lUQUwgQ0FNRVJBICAgICAgICAgAE9
4S1xRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAALAA4BAgAgAAAAkgAAAA8BAgAYAAAAsgAAABABAgARAAAAygAAABIBAwABAAAABgAAABoBBQABAAAA2wAAABsBBQABAAAA4wAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAgAAAA6wAAADIBAgAVAAAACwEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAAAIAEAAPsLAABPTFlNUFVTIERJR0lUQUwgQ0FNRVJBICAgICAgICAgAE9 (77.59 KiB) Viewed 1092 times
Member Bcss