A few general cacti and BCSS related questions

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Victoria
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: PORTSMOUTH & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

A few general cacti and BCSS related questions

Post by Victoria »

I have a couple of newbie type questions I hope someone doesn't mind answering.

What are collection and accession numbers? I've got a vague idea but would love for someone to explain it properly.

Are BCSS branch events members only?

What exactly are the 'Round Robins' mentioned in the journal?

Thanks for any enlightenment!

Victoria

BCSS Member since 2005. My collection has been somewhat neglected since starting a PhD but I am particularly keen on Crassulaceae, succulent Pelargoniums and South African bulbs.
CactusChris
BCSS Member

Re: A few general cacti and BCSS related questions

Post by CactusChris »

Hi Victoria,
I'll have a go -
Collection and accession numbers are given to plants or seed when plants are collected in the wild. These numbers are related to the collector and the collector is supposed to keep records of where, when and other details of the collection. this helps later, especially if the plants are not identified at the time. There is a look- up site on the web with a lot of this available - type in a collection number (KK1234) and it will try to tell you what the plant is. From a collectors point of veiw the different numbers often mean different strains - some may have longer spines or darker flowers.
Accession numbers are like this - sometimes they just relate to new acquisitions rather than collected material (especially for say Botanic gardens recording who gave them plants and when etc)

BCSS branch events are 'generally' no limited to members. They will normally make a charge to cover room hire and speaker costs but usually will welcome you in. Once you go a few times they may try to get you to join, but I've never known anyone be turned away. They are an excellent place to take unidentified plants - some bright spart will normally put a name on it for you, and ofter someone takes a tray of sales plants as well.

Round robins are only open to members (I think). It's like a circulating letter that each one in the chain adds their expeiences to, and lists wants etc.. Good for enthusiasts and give a very personal note to a set of 'new' friends.

It all seems a bit daunting at first - but becomes very familiar quite quickly so keep at it.

Best regards

Chris

BCSS Mid-Cheshire Branch, England - All photos copyright of C.Hynes
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I'll add that an accession number need not identify only wild-collected plants. It may identify a plant (or group of plants) propagated in-house or received from another cultivated source. An accession number strictly identifies all plants from the same source at the same time (ie. an accession) with the same number, although this may be appended to give every plant (which may include dead specimens) a unique identifier. I use a unique identifier for each of my plants, certainly not a field collection number (which I also store), but effectively an accession number.

Cheshire, UK
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

round robins are not just called such by the BCSS
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

Aaah. I've also known it used when I was little for singing eg. London Bridge, where one group of children follow on two or four lines behind.

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

It's nice to know that non-members can go to meetings. I'll get up to date with all memberships when I get a job. But, I can't really make Northampton on a weekday evening with public transport, member or not. :(

I'd only go and buy another plant, anyhow... *must stop* :)

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Victoria
BCSS Member
Branch: PORTSMOUTH & District

Post by Victoria »

Thanks for all your answers, the info on collection and accession numbers is particularly welcome and is now demystified. Glad to hear non-members are ok at BCSS events, I am a member but am a little nervous about going and was hoping I could take my other half along just for the first couple.

Thanks again.

Victoria

BCSS Member since 2005. My collection has been somewhat neglected since starting a PhD but I am particularly keen on Crassulaceae, succulent Pelargoniums and South African bulbs.
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Hi Julie,

Don't know if this has come up before, so sorry if this is a repeat.

But both Chief Mod (aka Tina) and myself are members of the Northampton and Milton Keynes Branch, as are at least two other members of this Forum. If we can help at all with branch attendance, maybe contact one of us privately.

Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Victoria, you must go! I love the meetings (I started going in June) and look forward to each month's now! Everyone is really nice & like-minded, so you can't go wrong!

Julie, no matter how many times you tell yourself that, you'll still always find a little space 'just for one more'!! ;-)
Hope you can also make it to a meeting at some point!

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!