Haworthia parksiana

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Apicra
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: Haworthia parksiana

Post by Apicra »

Well, you asked for this Bill ! Watch out, I feel a mini-lecture coming on ...

It really is not possible to start making judgements about the variability of any plant based upon a few photos of cultivated plants. This is because they are growing in different conditions and will thus probably look different. Many succulents including Haworthias and particularly Gasterias change their size, leaf shape and colouring in response to their environment. Of course we all know this, but it is readily forgotten.

Even Aloenut with two samples (not the same age?) which are growing in the same conditions, is not in a position to judge. One would need a lot more samples to see if there are intermediates, both more samples from one wild population and samples from other populations.

To my jaded eyes, after seeing thousands of Haworthias over the decades, all Haworthia parksianas have looked generally similar. Some are a bit smaller, some a bit darker, but no significant variation. Remember the recent discussion under the "November 17th." topic for an example of a really variable plant, probably Oreocereus hempelianus.

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble,
London, UK
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Hi Derek

There are two ways to learn by experience or the experience of others and I will always bow to those with greater knowledge than me.

It is though easy to see from this lesson how new forms or even species can arise and then later be lumped to the annoyance of some. LOL

Roy that's a realy mean thing to do.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Aloenut
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aloenut »

Hi All,

I was looking at David Martin's website this evening.

According to him, the larger form of Haworthia parksiana (up to 50% bigger than the small form) is found at Klein Brak, and the small form from Groot Brak.

Derek, any further comments?

Aloenut
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Should Roy be renamed 'RAZOR'

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Roy »

Well I like to use the term "one cut above the rest" :-))))))))))
If, like myself, you have plenty of spare material it is a good idea to cut a bit up and investigate what is happening in both healthy and diseased tissue, then publicise what you find. The more people that can see the information the broader the range of opinions it will generate.
Member Bcss
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

I even did it to a Forby flower! But it lived a happy life and died of natural causes, honest. No forbies were hurt in the production of this... photo.

There are not really any big surprises in this pic, either.

I thought it might have been fertilised but then died before it swelled, but it was so slightly swelled that it could equally have been unfertilised.

This is from Mama who, after her first lot of seeds in October, then refused to be fertilised as it was the end of November. She has one developing pod which looks quite wonky and has a white collar, probably due to lack of light (even though I always point her pod toward the light in the daytime and keep her warm at night). I'll put that pic in the forby thread.

Here's the dissected flower: (apologies to Halle Berry.)

Post Edited (01-05-07 21:26)
Attachments
4QDuRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAHAA8BAgADAAAASFRDABABAgAHAAAAYgAAABoBBQABAAAAaQAAABsBBQABAAAAcQAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAAeQAAAGmHBAABAAAAjQAAAAAAAABIZXJtZXMASAAAAAEAAABIAAAAAQAAADIwMDY6MTI6MDUgMTI6MDk6NDAABQADkAIAFAAAANEAAAAAkAcABAAAADAyMTAJkgMAAQAAAAAAAAA
4QDuRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAAHAA8BAgADAAAASFRDABABAgAHAAAAYgAAABoBBQABAAAAaQAAABsBBQABAAAAcQAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADIBAgAUAAAAeQAAAGmHBAABAAAAjQAAAAAAAABIZXJtZXMASAAAAAEAAABIAAAAAQAAADIwMDY6MTI6MDUgMTI6MDk6NDAABQADkAIAFAAAANEAAAAAkAcABAAAADAyMTAJkgMAAQAAAAAAAAA (16.43 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.