Escobaria Sneedii v Leei

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Escobaria Sneedii v Leei

Post by iann »

I visited my local Wyvale recently and it served to remind me why I stopped going there. Most cacti covered in dozens of small fake flowers :(

Cheshire, UK
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Yes there were a few of those too at this one, and incredibly, they were more expensive than the ones I bought with hand written labels!!!

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by David_L »

Hi Maria

I don't let my greenhouse go below about 5C. I suspect this and some of the other 'hardy' cacti like Pediocactus & Sclerocactus would like it colder for optimum flowering. Maybe I should get a cold frame for them.

David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Maria J
BCSS Member

Post by Maria J »

Thanks David.

Maria

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Maria J
BCSS Member

:-(

Post by Maria J »

Well my Escobaria wasn't a good buy as it was obviously watered too much at the GC & has succumbed to rot... (I haven't given it a drop since bringing home). The Gymno I bought at the same time had lost it's roots in the wet soil... but so far the body seems ok...
Someone once told me that they never bought cacti during the 'dormant' period as they never knew how they'd been kept... I think I will heed that advice in the future...

Maria

iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

That's sad, Maria. I just don't buy from the garden centres any more. Too many problems with pests, plants that are actually or effectively dead before I get them home, rarely anything as interesting as an Escobaria, and too many better sources for plants.

Cheshire, UK
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

It is sad! I hope the rootless gymno recovers.

Ian, one such place was the source of my mini munchers.. thankfully they didn't do any damage.

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.