CITES and importing Ariocarpus seeds

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: WILTSHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

CITES and importing Ariocarpus seeds

Post by Mike »

Has anyone recent experience of importing Ariocarpus seeds (or those of any other CITES Appendix I species)?

I'm keen to have another go at raising a few from seed. Seeds from a German seed supplier gave very poor germination thus year so I thought I'd try Mesa seeds in the US which has been recommended on this forum.

As I understand it this will require CITES paperwork so I wonder whether anyone can advise as to how long this takes, etc.?

Cheers

Mike

Based in Wiltshire and growing a mix of cacti and succulents.
CactusChris
BCSS Member

Re: CITES and importing Ariocarpus seeds

Post by CactusChris »

The expert is David Rushforth, as he does import seed forom Mesa and edistributes it. From the little I know the additional costs make it very expensive.

Best regards

Chris

BCSS Mid-Cheshire Branch, England - All photos copyright of C.Hynes
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi Mike
You don't need to order from outside the UK as Doug & Vivi Rowland seed is very good & I'm pretty sure this yr they also had Ario seed with location data.

I had some very nice ario confusos seed from them this yr( amongst others !) & the new catalogue should be out soon.

Post Edited (12-05-06 07:36)
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by David_L »

Hi Mike

I don't know where you got your Ariocarpus seed from, but there are European sources that are good for this type of seed; Ludwig Bercht, Doug & Vivi Roland and Cactus Heaven in Malta for example that I know of; there are probably others. As far as Mesa Garden is concerned, I believe if your order is for a personal sowing ie 1 packet of 10 seeds per species rather than nursery scale orders, it may be possible to use a rather less onerous and expensive form of CITES paperwork. I would try emailing Steven Brack and asking him his view.

David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL

Post by Roy »

I agree with Tina Doug & Vivi Rowland are a good supplier. I usually get good germination from their seed.
Member Bcss
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

There is no "exemption" from CITES for small personal exports from the USA. There is an exemption for household effects being moved but this would not apply to items posted separately.

As for Mesa Garden, CITES paperwork is charged at $12, applicable to seeds of Appendix I species. This would cover all the Ariocarpus seeds you wanted, not too bad if you wanted to order quite a few seeds not available in Europe.

Cheshire, UK

Post by Guest »

Don't forget the society seed offering. Usually there are many different Arios.

Post by Guest »

I concur with the coments about Doug and Vivi Rowland. Have been buying their seed for years and it always gives good results.

Mike.
David_L
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by David_L »

Hi

Yes it's this 12$ CITES form that I meant. I think you have to pay more if you want to import large quantities of seed, or maybe I'm confusing it with plants. Anyway I agree if you make up an order with a fair number of CITES seeds on it the 12$ fee is worth paying.

David

Bromley Branch
Mainly small Cacti + a few Mesembs.
Dirk Everaerd
Registered Guest

Post by Dirk Everaerd »

Hello, I have a bit of a problem with paying to non-Eurocurencie countrys , I asked for seeds in Malta ( C.H.) and the man asked to pay by putting cash in a envelope wich I did . ( to much loosing in the money tranfer!!!!) The result was a undamaged envelope with my letter and without te money( 65?) . Since I needed a couple of thousand seeds ( about 2000) I found both of the adresses in Tjechie without CITES papers and alreddy delivered after 3 weeks!

DIRK