Collection database ? what?s yours like?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Maria J
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Re: Collection database ? what?s yours like?

Post by Maria J »

Hi Dennis,

That?s extremely kind of you, but unfortunately, I don?t have Access on my personal laptop. That?s why I got OpenOffice as I couldn?t justify Microsoft?s prices for a hobby! My laptop did come with Microsoft Works, which does have a database program included, but I have never used it. Do you know whether it?s compatible with Access (apart from the fact that they?re both MS)?
Thanks!

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!

Post by Guest »

Maria,
I Only use Office Professional so I know nothing about the database in Works except it will not run access database. You can obtain an Access runtime system. This will allow you to run Access dbs without the full blown version, although I have never used it, and as I said previously I don't have the time or inclination to sort out problems like this as it is my day job.

Post Edited (12-20-06 13:43)
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Never mind! I very much appreciate your offer anyway and if I do get Access sometime, may come back to you!! ;-)
I take my hat off to you to do this as a day job as I find all these 'databases' thoroughly complicated!!!

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!