eBay & the Taxman

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: eBay & the Taxman

Post by Bill »

This is very true Ian, the taxman won't put up with you subsidising your hobby from tax money, you would only get away with it for a year or two.

I once had an issue with the taxman over PAYE vs self-employed. Basicaly I was a director of an organisation, for which I tendered for and won a contract to to do some web related photography.

When I sent my Tax Return in with the expenses ect claimed against income, they tried to say the income should have been PAYE as were the other payments I had from the company and the expenses would not be allowed. I must admit that came as quite a shock because instead of a couple hundred in tax it would have meant over a thousand. As it happened though I knew where I stood and successfuly argued that as the work carried out was not part of my normal work for the organisation was part of my day to day business and was a result of a tendering process it was , mind you it took 3 meetings and about 20 phone calls to sort it out.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Roy wrote:

> I have studied this thread with great interest and have come to
> the conclusion that Tina really is the only woman in the world
> that DOES know what she wants for Christmas :-))))))))

Wrong thread?????????? Roy LOL

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Roy
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Roy »

Sorry, yes it should have been in the Ebay thread. You will have to forgive me I was born very young. I have only just realised that you call a chicken in a shell suit an egg!:-)))

Post Edited (12-11-06 00:08)
Member Bcss
Julie
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Julie »

LOL!! I know what I want. A winning lottery ticket. :)

Aaaah. I have sooo much to learn about tax. I think it's taxing. No matter what Adam Hart-Davies says.

Well done Bill for not taking it lying down! A lesser informed or more timid person might have got fleeced.

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.