Journal

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Roy
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Journal

Post by Roy »

The December Journal has started arriving.
Member Bcss
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Journal

Post by Cactus Jack »

Thanks Roy i was just on the verge of asking. 8-)

Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Thanks Roy, I'll look forward to my copy!

Rob
BCSS Member
Branch: HULL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Rob »

Mine was waiting when I got home from work. Along with Kohres 2007 seedlist. Not had chance to look at either yet or the Society seedlist.
Think I'll go make a drink and have a look!

Rob
BCSS member since 1980.
Plant Heritage National Collection of Turbinicarpus.
BCSS Conservation Committee member.
NickT
Registered Guest

Post by NickT »

Half way thru mine as we speak ..... well type anyway

Nick T
Warwickshire

A lot of all sorts
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

'Snotfair!!!! where's mine? :(
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Where you been hiding Nick??

Post by Guest »

Mine arrived when I got home and I've just posted my seed order along with my Succseed order. Roll on new year.
CactusChris
BCSS Member

Post by CactusChris »

Mine arrived and looks to be an interesting read. I was watching myself this journal to see what and how i read the journal. I thought a poll of how people do this might help with getting it more focussed to peoples wnats and needs (just a personal experiment)...LOL
This is how it goes:

1) Starting at the back check the adverts then the pictures. Any new adverts are scrutinised for usefulness, any pictures are checked for personal relevance - plants pictured that I have in my collection or have grown I stop at, and pictures of people tend to make me stop and check if I know them or of them in which case the 'Ahh that's what he looks like' occurs.
2) Read the newsletter - but skip the Branch activities (up here in the northwest we seem to have stopped doing them - the last one from my branch must have been 5 years ago at least). Points of interest noted in the newsletter - Well done Ray Allcock on his long deserved award - skip the write ups about award people. Read the F&GP report - this is always the 1/2 full or 1/2 empty glass effect. Membership down but lots of money - same old crew pretty much re-elected and we continue the (1/2 empty) slide towards implosion without a change of direction. Check membership costs and post cheque - ignore Bradleya - too expensive.
3) Read round robin report
4) Read best article - this journal Lophophora or Copiapoa.
5) Skip other articles - read a couple more perhaps
6) Ignore book review, reports of new locations of plants and also exiting new discoveries and plants I'll never grow. These may be read in later years if relevant otherwise never.
7) Check seed report - I've ordered already so it's too late to spot anything I should have ordered - so I'll look what I have ordered to see what David says about them.
Done

Best regards

Chris
LOL

BCSS Mid-Cheshire Branch, England - All photos copyright of C.Hynes