Astrophytum caput-medusa  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Astrophytum caput-medusa

Post by Guest »

I noticed a couple of days ago CACTUS ART have a few for sale at about 100 euros. Anybody pay that sort of price. I would prefere to have a go from seed, but if the price came down to 60 euros I might be tempted.

Re: Astrophytum caput-medusa

Post by Guest »

I saw seed last year at 20 euro each.
CactusChris
BCSS Member

Re: Astrophytum caput-medusa  Solved

Post by CactusChris »

I think this plant (which some still would keep as Digitostigma) is a perfect example of the 'collector's greed syndrome'. A mad scramble to get a plant at any price - illegal collecting, mad prices, itchy palms and a degree of elbowing in the queue to get one. Why?
Look at the plant - in it's favour is that it is new. however it is unlikely to make a good show plant, or look good on the greenhouse bench. It is interesting and will make a good parent for hybridising but while the offspring will be interesting they are unlikely to be as nice and beautiful as an A. myriostigma or a Super K.

What exactly is driving this urge to have one now? We show our true patience when we buy plants that will take 20 years of loving care and attention to flower but are in a rush to own a 'new to the market plant' spending as much on one small plant as the amount it takes to heat a greenhouse. Why?

Best advice is to not buy them (yet) - the price will fall soon and then we can all have plenty - at that stage many will decide they don't even want them. Step aside from the queue.

(right now they've all left where is my wallet?) LOL LOVeryL.

Best regards

Chris

BCSS Mid-Cheshire Branch, England - All photos copyright of C.Hynes

Post by Guest »

Hi all,

I have thre clones of this plant and next summer I hope to produce seed as the plant is dead easy to grow.

I will keep a few seeds for myself but all the others will be given to people on this forum, so if you can wait don't waste your money. I may also create some grafted plants again they will be free but there will not be many.

I will post a message when the seeds or grafts are available and I will not reserve any before that point.

My aim is where possible to knock on the head these silly prices that the plants are fetching. Please understand this plant is very easy to grow and it seems to grow from a piece of grafted tubucle.

Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Chris43 »

Koehres have seed at ?20 for 4 seeds. But that's still quite a bit for an "easy" plant, as Chris and Bob point out.

I had some seed from a private source this year, just 4, of which I was crushed in the post, and had two seedlings from the remaining 3. I now have just the one as I was careless in the very hot weather in July, and one of the two little plants had too much sun and was scorched to death. I'm now growing the other on under lights, and it has well started its second "arm".

So I would suggest that seed is a very viable approach, and if you like grafting, obviously it can yield quicker results.

Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Hi
cacti connoiseur's boutique has it on there list at 3.60euro for one seed

Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
Susanne
Registered Guest

Post by Susanne »

Would it be possible to see a photo?
Susanne South Wales Branch
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

59 euros a plant at Plapp but if you can get to ELK there were plants available from around 29 euros upwards this year.

iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Cheshire, UK
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Well I wouldn't mind one but I am firmly in "not at any price camp".

?10-15 max per plant is my limit as a rule, prefer patience to instant results, I am not a trophy hunter or serial collector I grow plants.

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.