Seed list with CactusWorld

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Maria J
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Seed list with CactusWorld

Post by Maria J »

I have read & read again, but cannot find ANYWHERE how many seeds are in each packet. It?s probably somewhere really obvious lol!
Anyway, it?s just to know to decide how many packets to get.

Thanks ever so! :-D

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Seed list with CactusWorld

Post by Tina »

Hi Maria

You are sometimes limited to one pack of the more popular items.

Numbers are normal about 10-20 unless someone else knows the correct figure

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
CactusChris
BCSS Member

Post by CactusChris »

Hi Maria,
I think Tina is right. It is no use asking for many packets of stuff that will be in short supply, you will only get one. I've found that for a collector sowing for his own use there are usually plenty of seeds, again as Tina says 10-20. The seed is normally quite good so it does (mostly) come up ok.
Where seed is limited and has been sold out you will need to indicate a few substitutes - and they ask you to include a label with your name on to help in the processing of the orders.

Best regards

Chris

BCSS Mid-Cheshire Branch, England - All photos copyright of C.Hynes
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

I've never tried to order more than one packet. I almost always get more seedlings than I want adult plants, even from a packet of 10 seeds. Or occasionally nothing at all :(

Painful to think of David counting dust specks!

Cheshire, UK
Maria J
BCSS Member
Branch: SHREWSBURY
Role within the BCSS: Fellows

Post by Maria J »

Thanks Tina & Chris,
If it's 10-20 then 1 pack's plenty for me!! As they are only 20p & 30p I wondered if there were only 2-5 seeds!! :~}

Maria
Shrewsbury Branch - Shropshire UK
Joined BCSS April 06 (# 48776)

Tending more towards cacti :D, particularly Gymnocalyciums, Rebutias, Sulcorebutias, Echinopses, Thelos, Feros and Mamms (and anything else I like the look of!) all in an 8 x 6 polycarb greenhouse and a few windowsills!
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Its certainly a bargain! I tend to pick half a dozen seeds I desperately want, then realise I have an order for about two pounds, and go back for more ;)

Is it just my memory, or did the postage go up?

Cheshire, UK
CactusChris
BCSS Member

Post by CactusChris »

Not sure Ian, but somewhere it did say that the seeds would be in a padded envelope this year as the postage on the old 'box' had gone up because it was 'just a bit too big' for the cheaper size.

Chris

BCSS Mid-Cheshire Branch, England - All photos copyright of C.Hynes

Post by Guest »

I've been rather disappointed for a few years now at not getting what I order. However, i will, of course, order again this year!

Mike.
Cactus Jack
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHERN IRELAND
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Cactus Jack »

Thats the unfair part Mike others have sent thier lists off and i aint even received one yet . Oh well.

Stephen.. Bangor. N. Ireland.
David_K
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Post by David_K »

The box we used to use would not fit through the Royal Mail's new postage size guides and the box manufacturers could not make them 2 to 3mm thinner because of their stapling machines. As a resuly our little boxes became Royal Mail's 'Packets' with a minimum postage cost of ?1.00. With the cost of a box and postage plus VAT we would have had to charge ?1.90 P&P, hence the move to padded envelopes.
To answer another posting, the price of P&P has remained the same as last year at ?1.00.

David Kirkbright
Society Treasurer & Trustee,
Northants and MK Branch
Long time grower (not always well) of almost anything.
Visitors welcome but check first.