Frost Hardy C & S

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
NickT
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Re: Frost Hardy C & S

Post by NickT »

Hi Julian,

No problems. I have two sorts T. Fulleri & T. Calcerea (sp?)so I'll bring a couple of each along

Nick T
Warwickshire

A lot of all sorts
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

I've had Titanopsis calcarea, fulleri, hugo-schlechteri & primosii (if they're diferent species) in an unheated greenhouse for several years without any problems. They even give the odd flower when getting sub zero temperatures at night. I found that Echinocactus grusonii survives but marks badly if given no heat all winter. I bring them indoors now over winter, & no longer get brown patches. It's the only Echinocactus species I have.

For many species, where the seed/plant originated may make a lot of difference eg Escobaria vivipara has a wide distribution, and plants from Canada would have a better change of surviving outdoors in the UK than plants originating in Mexico. Knowing the plant's origin is a help if you want a really hardy clone, one advantage of growing from seed with habitat data. I suppose even E. grusonii may now turn out to have variable features dending on habitit, now that it no longer has only one locality

Mike T
Sheffield branch
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
NickT
Registered Guest

Post by NickT »

Funny you should say that Mike cos one of my "seedlings" has a big fat bud on it I noticed the other day & one of the Glottiphyllum's

Nick T
Warwickshire

A lot of all sorts