Another fine (late) Christmas present!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Jez
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Another fine (late) Christmas present!

Post by Jez »

Well this does look like a fine plant for those interested in the wierd and wonderful - and old presumably. I can't recall ever seen one like this "in the flesh" (though I've seen a few in books/Web sites) and shall watch the end-price with interest!

I've always wondered just how frequent cristate seedlings are (without the aid of radiation or mechanical interference etc.). Can anyone enlighten me?..... how many Ario. seeds do I have to germinate & grow for years and year to get one like this one for sale!

My new Ario. etc. book is still under wraps...... I'm not going to be any help in the kitchen on Christmas day once I've opened it!

Cheers,

Jez

Jez

NCSS/BCSS member intermittently since c 1978
Forum member from 08/2006
Collection of mostly smaller cacti and succulents (space limited!) including a variety of caudiciforms..... and I've lots to learn about looking after them.
CactusChris
BCSS Member

Re: Another fine (late) Christmas present!

Post by CactusChris »

Hi Jez,
Although I have found a couple at nurseries I have never! had a cristate seedling come up and I sow quite a lot os seeds... so the answer is:
statistically lots - but the next seed could be the one....

Best regards

Chris

BCSS Mid-Cheshire Branch, England - All photos copyright of C.Hynes
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Hi Jez

Certainly nice & very interesting looking plant but it's a bit wrinkly, I couldn't risk the money this will go for & my ario growing skills ( or lack of them !).

Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Jez
BCSS Member

Post by Jez »

Yes, it does look a bit wrinkly - but then some Arios. are more wrinkly than others and there are those Japanese cultivars that seem to excel in wrinkliness. I'm never 100% sure what are the things to look out for with these plants......... if I'm looking to buy I mostly (and I've learned lessons here) go on who is selling it - do I know them as a good e-bay seller/trusted nursery?

Jez

Best wishes to all.... may your Christmas presents be spiky (well at least some of them!).

Jez

Collection of mostly smaller cacti and succulents (space limited!) including a variety of caudiciforms..... and I've lots to learn about looking after them.
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

OK, I'll just go and get that lottery ticket, then I might buy it!

Or I could catch a hedgehog and paint him green, and ask him to sit still in a plantpot.. and have a fortnight in Helsinki. ;)

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi all

I have had an odd e.grusonii brevispina , which I couldn't decide if it was monstrose or cristate or just multiheaeded but then it died so no more probem.

I did read that beheading grafted plants can cause oddities with the pups that grow from the stumps so I have decapitated some plants- astro , loph & e.piscidermis.

The Euphorbia piscidermis is growing well as it has 8 or 9 pups at the moment so I 'm feeding it & have it under lights, I'd like a E.piscidermis crest even though they are a little ugly.
The common name for this is the 'fish scale cactus' & you can see why

Post Edited (12-20-06 16:14)
Attachments
4R8nRXhpZgAATU0AKgAAAAgACgEPAAIAAAAJAAAAhgEQAAIAAAAPAAAAjwESAAMAAAABAAEAAAEaAAUAAAABAAAAngEbAAUAAAABAAAApgEoAAMAAAABAAIAAAExAAIAAAAbAAAArgEyAAIAAAAUAAAAyYKYAAIAAAAFAAAA3YdpAAQAAAABAAAA5AAAApxGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl4IFM3MDAwIAAAAAB
4R8nRXhpZgAATU0AKgAAAAgACgEPAAIAAAAJAAAAhgEQAAIAAAAPAAAAjwESAAMAAAABAAEAAAEaAAUAAAABAAAAngEbAAUAAAABAAAApgEoAAMAAAABAAIAAAExAAIAAAAbAAAArgEyAAIAAAAUAAAAyYKYAAIAAAAFAAAA3YdpAAQAAAABAAAA5AAAApxGVUpJRklMTQBGaW5lUGl4IFM3MDAwIAAAAAB (86.97 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Nice plant Jez! Don't think much of the Lopho cristate they're selling though 8(!!

Jez
BCSS Member

Post by Jez »

Price is going up...... 810 euros (about 550 quid to you and me) and counting.....

Jez

Jez

Post by Guest »

Take a luck at these two then, this ariocarpus at least looks as if it alive.