possible talk/ new gymno in habitat

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Guillermo
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

possible talk/ new gymno in habitat

Post by Guillermo »

Dear Members of this forum:

My name is Guillermo Rivera. I am the owner of South America Cactus Expeditions, a company that organizes tours to see cactus in their habitat in Argentina, Chile, and Bolivia.

I am writing to you to find out the possibility of giving a presentation at your club. I am planning a trip to Europe in 2007. During this trip I will be giving presentations to some clubs in England, and I have also been accepted as a speaker for the 2007 ELK conference.

I have a B.S. degree in Biology, and a Doctorate degree in Botany, so my presentations can be either very scientific (taxonomic if you wish), more generalist, with many habitat photos, or a combination of both approaches

I was wandering if your club might be interested in these presentations

Specifically I will be in England from July 31 to August 14.

Possible talks could be

1. The genus Parodia (sensu strictu) from Argentina: Taxonomic talk Based on Kiesling publications, but with references to today's general ideas about the genus, including D. Hunt latest Cactus Lexicon.

2. The genus Trichocereus in Argentina: Taxonomic review. Its merging into Echinopsis. Different species found in Argentina. Current thoughts according to D. Hunt's new book

3. The genus Gymnocalycium. A general talk on its taxonomy. Plasticity and distribution of species of species. Some species found in Argentina

4. An exploratory trip to Bolivia. 3500 km over the highlands of Bolivia. With emphasis on Rebutias.

5. Northwestern Argentina. A diversity center for cacti? A taxonomic and exploratory trip to Northwestern Argentina

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Guillermo Rivera
South America Cactus Expeditions
Cordoba, Argentina

TE: 54 (351) 485 2581
www.cactusexpeditions.com.ar

Attachments
4R4yRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAANAA8BAgAGAAAAqgAAABABAgAbAAAAsAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAywAAABsBBQABAAAA0wAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAA2wAAADIBAgAUAAAA7wAAAD4BBQACAAAAAwEAAD8BBQAGAAAAEwEAABECBQADAAAAQwEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAA
4R4yRXhpZgAASUkqAAgAAAANAA8BAgAGAAAAqgAAABABAgAbAAAAsAAAABIBAwABAAAAAQAAABoBBQABAAAAywAAABsBBQABAAAA0wAAACgBAwABAAAAAgAAADEBAgAUAAAA2wAAADIBAgAUAAAA7wAAAD4BBQACAAAAAwEAAD8BBQAGAAAAEwEAABECBQADAAAAQwEAABMCAwABAAAAAgAAAGmHBAABAAA (95.09 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: possible talk/ new gymno in habitat

Post by Julie »

Hi Guillermo, and welcome.

It seems that you have a job that you love, which gives you a lot of job satisfaction. It must be great to take enthusiasts to see cacti in habitat for the first time (if I saw a forby I would probably cry!) and to travel to talk to other enthusiasts about the topic that you love.

That's the new gymno? Nice! The flower looks very smiliar to my amerhauseri, but the body is much taller, the spikes are darker, and the spine-clumps are on little goose bumps.

So, what would I like to hear in one of your talks, if I am able to attend? I fear not.. my best friend is overseas and will have her first baby (so I will be there and not here), and at the start of August I will attend the Wacken festival near Hamburg, and possibly some Hamburg exploring time.

I might have a unique view here, being a beginner - I am interested not only in the landscapes and climate in which the cacti grow - but in the people and culture, what are the native trades and social history of the people there, etc... and any interesting stories of meeting local people.

I studed Chemistry and did some Biology in my first year (more fun than the Chemistry!) but that is the limit of my studies and I don't know a great deal about cacti.. but I'd like to hear how size and colour vary with altitude and so on, how cacti have evolved and how tehir climate has changed over the years, and other things that might be considered beginner stuff.

Probably best to add a lot of techical data, as those with lifetime interests in cacti will be the ones willing to travel furthest to see your talk(s)... so there should be plenty of them attending.

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.