Everyone OK after the frost?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Julie
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Everyone OK after the frost?

Post by Julie »

Today we had enough frost to make me think we has snow when I poked my nose out of a warm duvet. It was still there in the afternoon.

Forbies not flowering stay on te sindowsill at night, which is about 14 degrees when going to bed and 13 when getting up this morning.

Conservatory was shut off all day and varied from 7 to 9 C.

Made me think of all you lot with greenhouses - are all the plants OK?

And who was it that had a good big spiky Opuntia in the garden?

Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Re: Everyone OK after the frost?

Post by Chris43 »

My bubble wrap has been up a while now - but the heaters have certainly been tested this last week. It's the first winter for my new greenhouse, but all seems pretty snug, keeping a fairly reasonable 6-7C. My Brazilian cacti - which need more are in a mini-greenhouse inside with a small 1/2 kw heater, and seem to be keeping about 12C.
So far the standby gas heater - for either when the electricity fails or if it gets so cold the electric heaters can't cope - hasn't been needed. It is set to come on at 5C.
In theory the electric heaters should cope with about -10C and still keep the house at 6-7C, but its only theory, time will tell, I guess. But best not to have it tested.

Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html

Post by Guest »

-6 here last night but the heating system kept everyting at 7 degrees as setup.

By the way does anybody have a spare pad or two of opuntia compressa that I can try in my new raised bed next spring.

Vic
Registered Guest
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Seed Purchaser

Post by Vic »

Hi Bob,

You're welcome to a pad or two from mine. It's looking a little sad for itself at the moment - wet and limp but seems to just laugh at the frost.

Post by Guest »

Hi Vic,

Yes please, you have my address.

Bob